Semi dedicated server question

Hi,
1- What's the core difference between a semi dedicated server and a vps ?

2- Does your semi dedicated server come with a dedicated sql server ?
My sql scripts call extended stored procedures which require sa user rights.

Thanks

1- What's the core difference between a semi dedicated server and a vps ?

We fully mange semi dedicated. We dont fully manage VPS, with a VPS you have admin rights with semi dedicated you don't.

2- Does your semi dedicated server come with a dedicated sql server ?
Semi dedicated has a dedicated MSSQL server.

My sql scripts call extended stored procedures which require sa user rights.

We can not give SA rights on semi dedicated but MSDE on VPS can have it.

Hi,

1 - I guess that sa user rights are only available if the database runs on an sql server installed on the vps. This excludes external sql databases (included with the VPS pacxkage). Right ?

2 - Concerning MSDE you're talking about Sql Server express. I'm using Sql7.Will I be able to connect to MSDE with my Enterprise Manager client and export all data to MSDE ? Or do I first have to install SQL Server on the VPS to do so ?

I will be changing my hosting provider today since my current hosting company does not offer windows vps. I need sa rights on the master database since my sql scripts call extended stored procedures.

In fact this issue concerns all those out there who want to set up sql to send mail using cdosys (or whatsoever component).

Thanks for your fast reply

1 - I guess that sa user rights are only available if the database runs on an sql server installed on the vps. This excludes external sql databases (included with the VPS pacxkage). Right ?

>You are correct that would be for SQL on the VPS itself that is with silver plans and up.

2 - Concerning MSDE you're talking about Sql Server express. I'm using Sql7.Will I be able to connect to MSDE with my Enterprise Manager client and export all data to MSDE ? Or do I first have to install SQL Server on the VPS to do so ?

>Actually plesk power pack is still coming with MSDE based on SQL 2000 not SQL 2005 Express. You can import from BAK files or MDF/LDF

I will be changing my hosting provider today since my current hosting company does not offer windows vps. I need sa rights on the master database since my sql scripts call extended stored procedures.

>You can do that on VPS on the MSDE that is included, if you have databases that are NOT needing sa level features you are free to utilize the external SQL databases as well that come with the VPS plans.

In fact this issue concerns all those out there who want to set up sql to send mail using cdosys (or whatsoever component).

> Well in shared/semi dedicated enviroment we do not support sending from the SQL server itself, but if you wish to do so on a VPS you have the admin access to allow it.

Back