SharedSSL, Authorize.net and paypal

liming

Perch
Anybody implemented an ecomemerce site here?

I don't know where to start. I mean I understand how authorize.net and paypal's api works, but in terms of setting it all up here on jodo, what do you need to do?

I have a potential customer who would like to host here, and my first question is how does the shares SSL works? I simply wanne show https:// during my checkout process.

For those who used paypal before, it seems with paypal web standard, the users have to go out of your site temproarily (for entering billing address, creidt card etc) is that correct? But then when I read the IPN protocol, you don't have to? Then it contradicts with the paypal web pro plan.

For authorize.net, you don't have to go out of your site as I understand, is that correct?

Many thanks.

I don't know much about authorize.net, but i've implemented a shopping cart with paypal IPN before.

Basically what happens is you set up the transaction, then redirect to paypal to allow the user to enter billing information etc. When the form is submitted paypal contacts your site using the IPN protocol (it's just HTTP POST with some specific fields) your IPN handler then has to go through some steps to verify the IPN request and then the transaction can be marked as completed in your database

Useful links:

http://www.eliteweaver.co.uk/testing/ipntest.php - IPN Test client
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/pdn/3p-solutions-ipntools-outside - IPN samples

am not 100% sure, but isnt Paypal Pro and Authorize.net both pritty much the same

neither need your visitor to exit your site, as its all done behind the scenes using a component on the server

by reading your post liming it sounds like your confusing Paypal Pro and Paypal IPN, which are completely different things

i've done a e-commerce site using paypal. what i did was posting the data behind the scene to paypal in a new window and the user can make the payment within that window.

i know paypal offers a more advance API for developer. I think that api allow the visitor stay within the site and you can do all the payment processing withing your site..(not 100% sure ) you should go to paypal's site and find out the details.

As a security issue. i would not suggest you to process payment in a share hosting environment, share ssl is not that secure and also when you gether payment data from users, the data you store in db is not sure even enscripted.

but paypal on the other hand is the most secure (i can say ) for online payment processing, and it's almost instantly processing.

i am not familiar with authoize.net, can't say much about it

Scotty_32 said:
am not 100% sure, but isnt Paypal Pro and Authorize.net both pritty much the same

neither need your visitor to exit your site, as its all done behind the scenes using a component on the server

by reading your post liming it sounds like your confusing Paypal Pro and Paypal IPN, which are completely different things

Thanks guys. Yeah, it seems like the only choice you have to stay in your site is to use paypal pro which has a monthly charge of $20 plus some.

I guess I have to purachase an SSL on our own.

Also, my client seems to be using versign Payflow pro, and that needs to be installed on the server. I see jodo has that, but not sure if it's for reseller gateway processing or for developers like us to use it. I'll have to submit a ticket for that.

Back