Single Code-Base, Multiple Sites Hosted Solution

Discussion in 'General Web Coding' started by david3rd, Jun 3, 2013.

1. david3rd

david3rd Perch

I'm curious how something like squarespace or lighcms or wordpress work from a code-base standpoint. What I mean is, a single code-base and single database drives multiple websites with their own domain names. So if you, the developer, ever had to update the code, you only had to update one central code-base, and all websites would immediately be updated too. Is it as simple as the code reads the HTTP request and spits out the proper website based on the domain name in the request? Or is it more complicated than that? If so, how is it done or where can we learn more?
  2. Stephen

Stephen US Operations Staff Member

WordPressMU does this from a single codebase with a single update etc. I have however, seen it mess up themes in the past, not sure about current versions.

They work by essentially being a main domain with a lot of aliases, DotNetNuke can also do this method and host multiple Domains.
  3. Penhall

Penhall Perch

I use DotNetNuke like this - one code base and multiple domains running as separate portals. Only issue I find sometimes is isolating access to certain skins/themes.