"Sorry, this message appears to be spam (#5.6.0)" error

snooper

Perch
hey there

a customer's clients are getting this error when mailing them. its intermittent - the same email will bounce once (and get this error), but then go through fine later.

but more importantly - isnt dspam supposed to let the email through, but mark it as spam, and attach the original email - instead of rejecting the email?

(the emails here are definite work email, not mass mailings etc.)

thanks

PS, here is a full example:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mail Delivery System" <[email protected]****here.biz>
To: <lionfel@XXXXXX>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2007 4:49 PM
Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

> This is the Postfix program at host dspam2.m****here.biz.
>
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
> be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>
>
> If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
> delete your own text from the attached returned message.
> The Postfix program
> <[email protected]>: host 204.14.107.174[204.14.107.174] said: 554
> Sorry, this message appears to be spam (#5.6.0) (in reply to end of
> DATA
> command)
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
> Action: failed
> Status: 5.0.0
> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host 204.14.107.174[204.14.107.174 ] said: 554
> Sorry, this message appears to be spam (#5.6.0) (in reply to end of DATA
> command)

Hello,

Please open a ticket with full header of spam mail, we will further check it and get back to you through ticket.

Ditto - I have the same problem. Even sending an email from a web app which I wrote, to myself for testing, gets sent back as spam. :)

DSPAM is more trouble than solution for me at least. In my case, it does not like links in HTML mail which do not show the same text as the actual URL it links to.

Can this be changed please?

Ditto. Also had the contact form reject a message on a client site that I built. And it was a legit email. Bounced back, not marked as it should.

support told me its because in the CP, i had the spam settings as 'remove' instead of 'mark as spam' (still from the pre-dspam days)
give it a try

Correct. "Remove" causes mails to bounce instead of being tagged.

Yeesss.. however, doesn't this open the floodgates to all the spam that would otherwise be removed? I don't want hundreds of spam emails just because ONE type of LEGITIMATE email isn't being passed.

Isn't there a solution, like us being able to fine-tune DSPAM with some rules for our particular cases?

[edit] Another issue is that when mail gets bounced, there's no dspam report of exactly what anti-spam rules tipped it over the edge. I have clients who email me and get the emails bounced. But I can't tell them why, because there's no info.

It seems the main trigger is a HTML link in the email whose text is different to the actual link. That *alone* makes DSPAM think an email is spam. Isn't that a bit too sensitive?

Yeesss.. however, doesn't this open the floodgates to all the spam that would otherwise be removed? I don't want hundreds of spam emails just because ONE type of LEGITIMATE email isn't being passed.
Haven't tried it, but a possible method of preventing the opening of the flodgates would be to move all spam to a specified mailbox instead of removing it, and then set that mailbox to Discard All Incoming Mail.

I guess false positives will always be a problem where a single set of rules is used for all clients. I've found the best solution is to run your own Spam filter - you can train it exactly how you want.

I have changed my spam filter to "move to", changed the "spam check level" to permissive and still I get this error when my application tries to send an email.

Any ideas?

David

I'd suggest opening a ticket. But by all means report back to let us know what the problem & solution was.

Back