SQL 2005... hm, let me think about that one.

antic

Perch
Re: http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=7979

Good news of course, don't get me wrong.. but the one thing I don't like about SQL 2005 is that is requires SQL Management Studio, the single most user-unfriendly interface MS has ever designed. That includes the command prompt.

Whatever you do, please don't replace all your SQL 2000 systems with SQL 2005 - not until Mgmt Studio Service Pack 5 comes out, or better yet they rewrite it. I'll be sitting in the corner hangin on to SQL 2000 and good ol' EM for quite a while!

You don't like the SQL Management Studio? Wow I love it!

I love the fact that it auto hides "system users" and "system DBs" it prevents a lot of confusion with people going: "Help! I see other databases and I think I am hacking someone!"
When reality is they are just system databases and the useless public test database.

Heh. I also hate it. One of the most slowest piece of junk MS ever released ... besides Win ME :) To think, Ms was dumb enough to code it in .NET ... grr ..

Anyway, try EMS SQL Manager found @ http://www.sqlmanager.net/ it's not too bad ... And these people definately did not make the same mistake that Ms did :)

How is it slow? I find it so much faster than the old Enterprise Manager.

I am not looking to argue, but want opinions and to know where it is inadequate :) I will let MS know directly about the opinions as well.

Opening takes awhile :), running queries are slower, seems like it's all client side, but ... *shugs*. Opening any window in it takes forever. Want it to generate scripts? Take a few hours for lunch ... that's a little bit exageration, but basically true.

This is all on my work computer too ... specs:

Intel 4 3.19Ghz, 2GB ram. Gotta love dell for workstations :D

Hrm, very odd, I use it on a local sql server and on remote to JH SQL server(2000 and 2005) and dont have any issues with speed, windows come up in split seconds.

do you have service pack 1 installed?(of SQL server 2005)

I use Aqua Data Studio as well, www.aquafold.com I mainly use it to test logins, but it is great and it works with almost any DB you can think of which is a real plus(for testing as I use it at times)

Perhaps since I'm in northern canada I'm getting some slowing due to hops/infrastructure - shrug.

Fried my main MB last week so just rebuilt the system last night --- picked up one of the Athlon X2 (4200) chips so we'll see if that improves performance a little.

What the hay, I bill by the hour for my database work anyway... maybe the slower the better as the wife is bugging me to buy a new RV. <jk>

:D

BTW, when I use the SQL Management studio it is remotely(unless I am testing on local server), 1500 miles remote.

I have between 50-80ms ping depending on route, so its not a local connection to our servers when I say using it remote.

3500 Miles from the server --- ping times to the SQL server are usually in the 160-180 range.

C'est la vie.

Well, SQL Management Studio is definitely faster (and a blessing as such) in a couple of key areas when dealing with remote databases:

1. opening the connection and listing all databases - MUCH faster than EM, which would let you make a cup of tea while listing databases on a server.

2. Table-editing operations, saving table structure, etc. Again MUCH faster than EM and a blessing. I use it mainly for this.

The negative site is largely to do with the two things: 1) user interface, 2) running queries. I agree with this post that it seems kinda "dumbed down" at the front end.

Major negatives in my view:

i) Rather inflexible way of getting around windows and managing connection to databases.

ii) Impossible to open more than one instance of a table! In EM, you could say "Open-Query" on any table any number of times to run queries quickly and easily. Major disadvantage here.

iii) Running even a simple query becomes a journey of a thousand clicks.

iv) Complicated-looking UI which is actually less flexible than EM+QA

v) Table designer grid control is quirky. Single click to edit field name, TWO-clicks (or click+F2) to edit field type. Sometimes you forget and type over stuff, or click and use arrow keys to edit field type text, and end up arrowing to another cell. EM was easier to use because it kept it simple!

vi) Table designer shows field properties as a treeview of properties and sub-properties!! I mean yes, let's make that little property window even harder to navigate. I was hoping to have the option of displaying field properties as extra columns in that HUGE unused space on the right of the fields that isn't used for anything at all. When editing properties over multiple fields, it's fiddly and takes much longer than in EM.

vii) Indexes/Relationships dialog in the table designer - yuck! Again, what's with the collapsed treeview of properties?! As with most things in SQLMS vs EM, not less but more clicks are involved in changing values, and assigning field names to indexes and r/ships. In EM it was clear as day where your most-used values are - the name of the index/relationship and the lists of fields. The field lists weren't hidden behind another friggin click and dialog like in SQLMS.

viii) Field selection in dialogs is painful. While fields in the table designer are displayed in the order you have ordered them, field selection in dialogs, like when creating indexes, is in alphabetical order - that is, in a different order to how you're used to looking at them! This is basic UI design being thrown out the window.

gripe gripe.. :) The only thing I do appreciate about SQLMS is that it's faster to edit table structures, save changes etc, over a remote connection. For my local dbs I still use EM and won't be upgrading to SQL 2005 while it prevents me from using EM if I want to.

Is that enough? :p

Back