SQL Server

rohan

Guppy
I'm confused. The CP allows me to create a SQL database as well as create a DSN to a SQL database. What is the difference?

You can create one hosted MS SQL database with your package. You can also store SQL databases in your disk space and connect to them via DSN.

I have a question about this, as I am also confused. How do we DSN to our SQL databases if we host them on our storage space?

You can store the database on your disk space and create a DSN from the CP specifying server address. I am not sure if this available for alll drivers. What type of database are you talking about?

We plan to disable this feature very shortly as it is causing delayed responses on our server. This affects all the customers on that server.

instead, what you can do is host the database on your computer.

The log file just logs database activity. It is useful for security reasons. You may delete if you like

It depends. If your database is stored on your disk space, a log file should have been created next to it. If this is a hosted database, you can find all other log files in the "log" folder in your root directory. However, I wouldn't recommend deleting any log files till you are low on disk space.

I just ran out of space, and I went and deleted some of the logs, but on my status panel for the database, it still says I'm used a lot of my space left. Does it matter that the cp still did not change?

You only see a change in your Disk Usage meter if you deleted logs files over 1MB. If you have ran out of disk space, the best thing you should do is upgrade to the next package or buy some more megs

The problem is I only delete my logs when my quota is reached on my ms sql database, and I can't just keep buying database space! Perhaps I'm not deleting the right logs?

Oh, I thought you meant disk space. The DB log files are deleted routinely by our system administrators and don't count towards your total usage.

Back