SQL1 running like a dog

mdeemer

Perch
Folks, what's going on? For the past week or so, SQL1 has been up and down like a yoyo - every day.

Ur live support is useless, i keep getting told to "Please wait" and then 30 minutes later the operator just cuts me off - still not fixing the problem.

1 minute my pages are loading in 4 seconds or so, the next they are like 60 seconds. Sites fine 1 minute, then dies the next. Its only pages linking with SQL1. Then all of a sudden the site just wont load, server rebooting i think (This is all pages too).

I'm finally putting a message here as maybe this way something will get done as it's visible to the public (and potential customers).

Ive never known an SQL setup like jodos, ive been on SQL3 and now SQL1 and both are crap. My 800mhz duron laptop setup can load my forum's main page in less than a second, yet jodo's servers cannot do it in less than 6 when the server is working full steam (and that is RARE!).

What's going on guys? Please sort it out. My site isn't power hungry, but it appears that someone else's on SQL1 is! Ive even removed all the calculations from the main forums page, and ive now got it so that it just looks up basic values from tables.

Did I mention that its running better using MS Access DB this week??? How crap is that?

Big thumbs down for jodo's SQL servers. I'm considering moving, it's just the hastle of moving that's stopping me. Await your response before deciding.

I've noticed a few slowdowns, but nothing anywhere near 6 seconds. A page would take maybe 1.5 seconds to load instead of almost instantly.

For me it doesn't seem dependant on the amount of work the database server has to do. An ASP page that does nothing but update a little counter also took the same amount of time to load during the slowdown.

same here mate, really simple transactions just kill it.

6 seconds is fast for me, its more like 40 - 80 seconds at the moment. Its also been timing out too at 90 seconds.

Back to 16 seconds at the moment. Will keep u posted throughout the night (Night in UK)

it seems to be averaging out now at about 6 - 12 seconds. Only had it above 30 seconds twice since my last post.

Going bed now, will check again tomorrow. There's clearly a problem which needs to be investigated though please Jodo???

hi,

We do not have any such issue reported. We are monitoring the server. We will appreciate if you open a ticket as soon as you feel such slowdwon. This will help us isolating cause faster if any.

Thanks

its running bloody fine now, typical. It is intermittent and random times - will probably be tomorrow that it goes again now. Im sick of my site members emailing me to complain about it.

no, back to 20-30 seconds now. Was at a record 2.3 seconds a minute ago, Will raise a ticket for you.

Its up and down, like the SQL transaction is being queued and not being actioned.

I can refresh 3 times, and get 2 - 30 - 4 seconds times. ???

What is it you are trying to do? I have been browsing other major websites on sql1 with sub 0.6 second load times, quite regularly.

basic forums - a very customised old version of WWF.

Basically, ive had problems on jodo which ive not had on other servers before. But rather than changing servers i took all the calculations out of the main forums page. These calculations were like total posts, total topics, last post, etc. These now load elsewhere and the values get stored in the forums table and simply loaded in a basic query.

Now, ive got an 800mhz duron laptop, very old, and ive got a test sql setup on it. Iv not changed any settings on it, its all default. The page without calculations loads in less than 1 second. The page with calculations runs in about 2.5 seconds.
Jodos servers run the one without calculations in random times. The same page will load in 5 seconds and then you can refresh the page and it would be 70 seconds! This can be when nobody else is on the server. It would even load the forums page WITH the calculations! Just gets to 90 seconds and times out.

I know its not my site, because its up and down. Ive never had this problem with other hosts, but ive left them for other reasons. I think there is an issue between the web server and sql????

It does not seem to be an issue with the SQL server itself, its loads are very low, I know I have worked on your site before(moving SQL servers) but this is happening on the new SQL server as well, could you send me a PM with the server you are on, I will take a look at it again.

I'm on Win5 and I've noticed this, although not as extreme as the other people here. I've had a database using page time out (or at least take >30 seconds, I'm not that patient^^) on a few occasions.

When that happened, reloading the page produced results within normal response times (0.7 seconds) or at least within 3 seconds.

If that has happened SubSpace, I'm pretty sure that may have been due to an odd network issue or packet loss.

MSSQL1 has the least # of databases and load on it compared to all our servers.

mdeemer, your site was having the exact same issues on mssql3 before we moved it to mssql1. I'd say there is something with your code or database itself. Let's see what stephen says

Have you made sure all your connection strings are using ip addresses rather than domain names? At least that will rule out any name resolution issues.

Back