Stephen, need some help/advice/direction...

Phurion

Perch
A while back I reported some very poor performance issues with one of my websites.

http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=18326

The website in question is

http://www.JamesStStation.com

The site runs Joomla, which I understand would be best served by hosting it on a Linux/*nix based system, and was told that would probably resolve my performance issues.

HOWEVER...I want to point out that even connecting to this site via WSFTP as well as MS FrontPage is TERRIBLY slow. Neither of these applications care what kind of files are present on the server. Neither of them talk to the PHP server daemon, so I'm not sure why this site is so unGAWDly slow ALL of the time, regardless of what application I use to connect to it (web browser, or any other utils).

This morning I was seeing quite a few MySQL timeouts.

I need to know what I need to do to have someone look at this issue seriously, and with the focus of resolving the performance issues with the website once and for all.

Sure, moving it over to Linux/*nix might be the fix, but I don't really want to limit myself in that way. I'm a .NET developer and at some point in the future I may wish to convert the site over to a technology OTHER than Joomla/PHP. I would prefer the performance issues are researched and resolved while the site remains on the Windows hosting platform. I've seen plenty of other Joomla sites running on Windows servers, so it's not like my request is out of the question or unreasonable.

Please help?

most of the issue is the way that joomla and php in cgi mode work, to have php version options we run php in CGI, sure we could run php in isapi, lock it down so no flexibility in config for users(and require iis to restart just to change the config)

joomla is a heavy app.

FTP I've not noticed being slow but can't test it at all times.

However that is going a bit slower than it was before even, so checking out why.

The weird thing...literally within minutes of my post the site started responding very well to browser requests. Navigating between pages was very quick and responsive. However, at the same time trying to do some site administration in another tab seemed to be the usual sluggish performance.

It's all very odd.

Let me ask this...

What all is involved in moving a site from Windows to Linux? How will it affect my reseller account (will it?).

If it's not too involved I may just move it over for now. If (and it's a BIG "if") I ever decide to use something that would work better on the MS platform I'll just move it back.

What are your thoughts Stephen?

Making a move from win to linux, won't affect reseller account except by taking an available user. It will require you to remake all email addresses probably the biggest hassle for many people.
moving the files and all is not that big of a deal really, you could even keep the same config for the most of the time.
Linux also gives you some ability to make friendly navigation with rewriteable url's where Windows on PHP doesn't without addons that are not compatible with Hsphere log module.

BTW about the speed, it was loading slower than usual, and I checked and found a pool using steady high CPU, recycled it and we are working on it now. don't know why the other tab would be crawling, as the server is just fine now :)

Edit:

of course I forgot one thing, take MySQL SQL Export, then import on new side but strip off the use db_name from the top of the SQL export, so that it will import over to the new without any error it can easily be done in notepad.

I'm a little uncertain on how to do that. Do I need to make a package in my reseller account using Linux hosting, then sign back up for it on that plan?

I'm a little uncertain on how to do that. Do I need to make a package in my reseller account using Linux hosting, then sign back up for it on that plan?

Correct, make a new linux plan, signup for it, make your DB, make a test domain in there if you want to learn about it a little first, then when it comes time you will have to delete the domain on the windows user and add on the linux user, so it will have a downtime, however it can be mitigated a bit by having everything backed up and ready to go on the new side.

you can go so far as having files ready to rename in FTP at the folder level once on linux.
There may be a short time of DNS cache differences as well.

It DID appears to be responding a little better, but still a bit sporadic. What was the issue?

Your recommendation to move the site to Linux is not a reasonable solution for the reasons I stated in an earlier post.

It should also be noted that when there are no other technical issues with your servers the site performs at an acceptable level with reasonable response times. It is only when something is awry with your servers that severe performance issues are noted, and probably not limited to just my PHP website.

Instead of inconveniencing your customers, someone at Jodohost needs to invest some time into identifying and correcting/preventing these issues from occurring to begin with.

[EDIT]
Nope, back in the bit bucket.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in [PATH]\libraries\joomla\database\database\mysql.php on line 223

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in [PATH]\libraries\joomla\session\storage\database.php on line 82

edited path statement for security reasons.

And here we go again.

Same domain/website, exact same issue as reported several times in the past.

Last time the reason was something to do with a hung backup process or something. Has that happened again?

Recap: site responds slow over any protocol. FTP is slow, plain old HTML pages are slow (IE, no backend server scripting/rendering required), FrontPage is slow, and so on.

This has nothing to do with it being a PHP site on a Windows server. When your server is working properly the site responds very well.

Please advise.

And here we go again.

Same domain/website, exact same issue as reported several times in the past.

Last time the reason was something to do with a hung backup process or something. Has that happened again?

Recap: site responds slow over any protocol. FTP is slow, plain old HTML pages are slow (IE, no backend server scripting/rendering required), FrontPage is slow, and so on.

This has nothing to do with it being a PHP site on a Windows server. When your server is working properly the site responds very well.

Please advise.

We are checking it, looks to be some abuse as it started this morning and was resolved but back again.

BTW just as a FYI even at its fastest it is still slower than same on linux ;)

We have found the source pool working to isolate the site that is cause at this point now.

We are checking it, looks to be some abuse as it started this morning and was resolved but back again.

BTW just as a FYI even at its fastest it is still slower than same on linux ;)

LOL /grin

Yeh, I know, but it's an acceptable trade-off for me to have the option to switch back to an ASP/ASP.net solution at some point in the future. I'm a .NET guy anyway. :D

We have it isolated down to a few possibles now, can for sure see an impact when this domain is processing it is really slowing down all else. From time we cleared the counters on this site to 10 minutes later, it was more usage in every regard than others that had been up for hours(since last slowness)

When you say "when this domain is processing it is really slowing down all else..." you're referring to the offending/abusive domain/site and not mine, correct?

Back