Strange CP Problems???

I was wondering if anyone can give me a clue as to what might be happening. Here's my situation.

We are web designers and hosts and we do not give each one of our clients their own CP's. We control all aspects of their hosting services. So, when we need to make changes to our client accounts, we obviously have to access their CP.

We can normally access our corporate CP or client CP's via the generic search link within our Admin CP. But for some odd reason as of tonight, the generic search no longer works. We can still access CP's, but only if we type them in manually. In fact, every time we click on the search or generic search buttons, it takes us directly to a blank login page.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Thanks!

That is odd, I have used generic search a few times today without problems.

Hi Stephen,

Yeah... I'm totally confused. This is how we have always accessed the CP's. I tried it with both Mozilla Firefox v1.5 and IE v6.0 and I have the same problem either way.

I even deleted all of my saved passwords, cleared my cache's, and cleared my cookies, but when trying it again, same thing.

Like I said, it isn't really a problem because we can still access everything we need to get into, we just can't figure out how it suddenly changed???

I just thought that maybe someone here had a clue.

Hi Yash,

I did submit a ticket before - DNV-33947-847.

Ranjan responded extremely fast! Within 15 minutes! I was impressed. I explained everything to him and we even continued on live chat.

He was the one that suggested I delete all of my passwords, etc. I really thought that might work since I thought there was a chance it was on my end. But as I said, that didn't work.

Again Yash, it's really not a huge problem. I can still access what I need to, it's just that now it takes a little longer.

When we left off, we still didn't know what was causing it, so that's why I posted here.

It's really not a big deal. I can live with it.

Just out of curiousity, and I will probably be asleep before a reply, will a wildcard search work, try something like art% (art=first three letters of some user account name basically, put any first three letters)
If that works, then try at % in the username field and see if it returns all users.
% is the wildcard entry in hpshere.

Hey Cap'n Code,

Have you checked your adware, anit-virus , and firewall software. I had this problem a while back with Zone Alarm. It seems some of the functions in Hsphere require cookies or ad type images that Zone Alarm blocked. Try turning this things off and see if it fixes it. If it does, try to find the setting that causes the problem. For me it was the cookies and ad blocking in Zone Alarm. Let me know if this works.

Hey everyone,

I couldn't stay up anymore last night after making my last post. I just came back here now and saw what you guys had to say.

dman - You are DMAN!!! After I read what you said about ZoneAlarm... it started to make sense to me! I just changed a setting last week under the privacy area, telling the program to block third party cookies.

I went in there and changed it back and it worked! That was the problem! I tried it four times now and it works everytime! Thanks dman! :D

Thanks also to Ranjan, Stephen & Yash for trying to help figure it out. You guys are great! :)

My issue with ZoneAlarm is that I could not login at all, I was not even tihnking along those lines, since then I have not use zone alarm.

I actually am on MS OneCare beta test unit, and it is quite nice for a general user, I think I will uninstall it later and maybe put on family PCs, as it is good, but there seems to be a slight performance hit with the Firewall(ingress and egress finally from MS), Anti Spyware, and Anti-Virus all going at the same time with it.

I really don't think it matters much which firewall/anti-virus you use... they ALL effect your performance a great deal!

I have ZoneAlarm for a software firewall, CA's Anti-virus product, CA's Pest Patrol, Webroot Spysweeper, SpyBlaster, and Spyware Guard for spyware, plus various other programs. If I uninstalled all of those programs I would probably be running 1/2 the number of processes and would bring my machine back to its original performance standards! But unfortunately, we all have to run those kinds of programs today.

I am still trying to solve another problem that started happening last week with ZoneAlarm. There is an internal file in ZA called "vsmon.exe". It is basically the file behind the programs True Vector Service... it has to be there. But since last week, it has been spiking my CPU every 10-15 seconds! It is driving me crazy! I have been all over the net looking for a solution to it, but haven't found it yet.

Ya have any clues???

Believe me, I know what you're saying. I read dozens of horror stories over the past week about ZoneAlarm. But, until last week, I never had any problems with it other than performance related. It has always served me well, but this recent problem is starting to get to me.

I agree... lean is the way to go.:) I have a hardware firewall too, but you can never have too much protection these days!

Hey Cap'n Code,

Glad I could help. I had a similiar problem for a while with Hsphere and it was so frustrating. It is my pleasure to help others fix/avoid this problem.

As for Vsmon.exe and ZoneAlarm, it sounds like you may have a corrupt log file. I think the only way to fix it is to do an uninstall and re-install. You may need to delete the log files manually as well. Check out the forum at zonelabs.com. Also thier instant support says if you are having this problem to email the Tech Support Department.

I have genrally been happy with Zone Alarm but there have been some issues in the last 6 months. One annoying problem was after a certain amount of inactivity I would loose all HTTP connections until I shut down Zone Alarm. I could then restart it and it would work fine unless I stopped using the internet for a while. Afetr months of irritation I finally found the fix. Turns out that in my trusted zone the DNS Outgoing Request were blocked which causes a disconnection fomr my cable companies DNS servers. Anyways, I think sopme of the problems with Zone Alarm are caused by the level of control they offer, the user not knowing enough about what it does to fix it, and the default security settings are too strong for the average user (myself).

They just released an update for zone alarm which may fix a few of the issues. I would say I'm much happier with ZA than Nortons Firewall and I do think it is a solid solution. They are also one of the first, if not the first, to offer a software firewall for end-users.

Hey DMAN!

Again, I really appreciate your help! I have been searching for several days now for anyone who had a clue as to what might be happening with ZA.

Last week, I did send them a support ticket. Their answer was to totally uninstall and then re-install, just like you said. I was trying to avoid that if possible.

I am on a site right now that basically says, if you have a Windows crash or your machine is shutdown to quickly, it can corrupt the ZA database. It says to tell ZA NOT to start at boot, then boot in safemode and access the Internet Log Files. In there, delete all of the files except the folder itself. Empty the recycle bin and reboot normally. Then go back into ZA and set it again to start at boot. It say that this will clear ZA of all of its settings (almost like a complete reload), but should fix any corruption problems!

I just checked my Interent log file and it is almost 100MB! I'm wondering if I should try this???

Obviously, I will have to totally reconfigure the program afterward, but if it works... it would be worth it!

You could try that safe mode fix as well. Although after going thru that, it may take just as long as the uninstall/re-install. And, if the safemode thing doesn't work you'll have to do the uninstall anyways. Best bet is just to do the uininstall/re-install unless you have a bunch of customized settings that it took a while to setup. Also make sure you have the latest update from ZA.

Yeah,

I guess there is no easy way out. I'll have to do this if I want to eliminate the problem.

The thing is, I do have a bunch of customized settings since I have been tweaking the program for over two years to get it just the way I want it. And, I am so busy right now with work and doing the whole uninstall/install thing is going to eat up a lot of my time. I just wish there was another way around it.

Oh well, I guess I have no choice.

Thanks again for the sound advice DMan. :)

Back