Suggestion: A setting to limit outbound emails

riley

Perch
I read an article the other day about a poor fellow, a graphics artist, whose email domain was hijacked by a spammer and used to generate thousands and thousands of spam emails. The poor guy was inundated with hate mail as a result of the spam that was delivered from his domain and the incident nearly ruined his reputation and his business.

Is it possible to add a feature in control panel that would allow us to set a daily limit on the number of emails that could be sent from each mailbox? By default, it would be unlimited, but it would allow us to define a limit. I could probably set mine to as few as 10 and be just fine. But even if a I needed a higher daily limit, like 2 or 3 hundred, it would still serve as a way to limit the damage that could result from a scenario like the one that article describes. In the event I wanted to do an automated mailing of my own (customer mailings, etc.), I could simply up the limit, do the mailing, and then restore the limit to the value I normally use.

I don't know how practical this is, but it seems it would be a nice way to avoid some pretty nasty problems for Jodo's customers and for Jodohost itself.

We closely monitor and regularly terminate bulk emailing activity from the server level. We have set email limits directly on the server as well

atulkumar said:
We closely monitor and regularly terminate bulk emailing activity from the server level. We have set email limits directly on the server as well

A spammer does not necessarily needs to login to your e-mail account to send e-mails that appear to come from you. Even if they don't have your account password...by simplying knowing your e-mail address, they can make a spam appear as if it came from you. I have for example received spam that appear to come from my own e-mail address.

So I am not sure if what you suggested to Jodohost will do any good.

As well as it doesn't have to go through your server. By simply setting "From" to any e-mail address you want (if hosting provider allows this). So the only way to know from which server it came, you look in headers (Options dialog in Outlook)

Back