Transaction File Size

brawney

Perch
I opened a ticket on the 29th asking how to make my SQL server's transaction log smaller. I got a reply saying to set the auto shrink property and that when the db is backed up it will shrink. I have dbo rights and set the auto shrink property, but the transaction log is still very large. This is on a site that isn't being used by the public yet and I have not even been doing any testing for several days now.

I replied to the tickey asking why the transaction log had not shrunk yet. No reply. I figured something was lost in the ticket system so I asked again. Still no reply. This is unusual for Jodo Host. I usually get very prompt replies to my tickets.

So my question still stands. I have set auto shrink, the db is not being used, and the transaction file is not shrinking. Can someone explain why? Thanks.

Hmm, this is really strange. I did exactly the same operations and got transaction log shrinked to 1Mb (was 11Mb) a few hours after the change. And it keep now this size... Don't know why it didn't work for you. Specially that the database is not being used. Maybe you will try to get the database Offline and then Online again? Not sure if this will help though

Your ticket is being looked into, I can assure you. It takes time to answer questions based on server related problems. We need to look into them extensively before being able to answer. I hope you understand that

Yash said:
Your ticket is being looked into, I can assure you. It takes time to answer questions based on server related problems. We need to look into them extensively before being able to answer. I hope you understand that
I understand that Yash. I didn't mean for my post to sound negative. I have seen people complain before that their ticket never got answered, they posted here and were told the ticket was lost. So I was just explaining that I posted to the ticket a couple times to make sure it got through.

Your service has been great so far. No complaints. It was unusual that I had not received a reply. 8)

StPatrick said:
Hmm, this is really strange. I did exactly the same operations and got transaction log shrinked to 1Mb (was 11Mb) a few hours after the change. And it keep now this size... Don't know why it didn't work for you. Specially that the database is not being used. Maybe you will try to get the database Offline and then Online again? Not sure if this will help though
Yeah, I think I saw a post from you or someone before saying that this worked. But it isn't working for me. I am well under my disk space limits so there isn't a problem. I was just trying to get to the bottom of this and make sure that going forward the problem would be fixed.

They have replied to my ticket now. Their answer was that they will be shifting customers to new servers starting in a few days, my database will be recreated at that time and that should resolve the problem. Sounds to me like they're having some server problems. Ahh, ain't technology great? :)

Back