Two Sites Down again

jimsau

Perch
What the heck is going on? Every morning they are dead again......

This is a mess

Error: You are not authorized to view this page

I can access it through ftp but not http.

This is weird. I can access the main domain page with firefox .08 and not IE6 but firefox says the forum sub-domain cannot be found while IE says "You are not authorized to view this page"

The forum subdomain just started working for IE6 and firefox but the main page still cannot be viewed in IE 6

This is crazy

the third site is still "You are not authorized to view this page" with IE6 and Firefox says " Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed."

Tech Support Reply:

Mar 31, 2004 11:53:48 AM]

A: Hello,
As i can see all the three sites Dreamexpedition.com,
forum.dreamexpedition.com and Kansads.com are coming up and Dreamexpedition.com is redirecting to the forum. Kindly check it and update us on this issue, if there is any issue.
Regards

Okay. Would some of the rest of you check these please and see if you can see them. Kansads is not live yet but my client for the other is very annoyed.

jimsau, you need to calm down and relax for a minute

Your sites were never down even on the first time when you complained about it. I'm pretty sure its some local ISP caching issue for you. I can access all your sites and they are loading great

You can verify from http://www.amegaproxy.com

And please give our support team a chance before coming here to complain :)

Yash, I didn't blame you this time. I came here for more answers. This was nothing against you. Whatever is causing this is however unacceptable. I have never had this kind of trouble before though. I am hoping by posting here that someone else has ideas. Forums are a good place for answers and more heads are better than one when trying to solve a problem. :)

I don't know how an isp issue would cause a site to keep being reverted back to an old IP though. This is probably what happened though as I deleted the old site files even though the account is still active at that IP. That would cause the "You are not authorized to view this page"

So for those of you viewing I am not blaming this one on Yash this time. ?(

If your site keeps reverting back to the old IP, this is common

This is either a propogation or IP caching issue. We've had customers experience this for upto 7 days after they changed name servers

roadrunner (the cable ISP) claims they cache up to 14 days, and if you have DNS issues to wait 14 days until you come to them, one of my customers was having odd problems with them, one time it would work, one time it would be down or at his old host, whiel at work on the t1 he could view it all the time after the initial 12-16 hours DNS propagation time. So it very much varies by host, and even by which dns server you hit at a host if they are using a load balanced cached DNS system.

That's my ISP! This explains why I have such a long wait every time I move a site... thanks for the headsup - shame there's no other high speed alternative around here.

And in case anyone is wondering or knows - Earthlink (in Ohio, at least) maybe a different company but they are the same service. Same cables, same billing. Presumably same servers and policies?

Yes, Earthlink is a piggyback service, they just sign agreements with whatever provider is in the area and offer branded services to earthlink customers, via the other companies equipment except for email servers, where you typically get an earthlink address.

Stephen said:
roadrunner (the cable ISP) claims they cache up to 14 days, and if you have DNS issues to wait 14 days until you come to them, one of my customers was having odd problems with them, one time it would work, one time it would be down or at his old host, whiel at work on the t1 he could view it all the time after the initial 12-16 hours DNS propagation time. So it very much varies by host, and even by which dns server you hit at a host if they are using a load balanced cached DNS system.

It is happening on another site now as well the comic site was over here for a while and the secure part wouldnt work and then it was back to the old server again. Its the craziest damn thing I ever saw.

Hey Jim. Honestly, do yourself a favour, take a break! There is nothing you can do. It will resolve (excuse the pun) itself in time.

For the future, I always wait at least 36 hours after changing DNS before I attempt to access a website again to avoid ISP caching. Email propogating back and forth between old and new servers can also last longer than the problems with the website too. I usually set up email accounts at both hosts to forward to a third party mailbox until everything settles down.

I had a similar problem - Yash and Subspace helped me understand it a little better...

http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=424

Why don't you run your own caching-only name server? Or use a third-party? If you want, feel free to use ns0.teleporto.net and ns1.teleporto.net .

Or just set some nameservers from another ISP that are public. A nameserver that caches for 14 days regardless of the TTL is plain useless.

If the problem is just your 2 domains, you can define the host names / IP using the local file "hosts". However I
recommend to use this approach only for a couple of days.

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Back