upgrading to the vBulletin forum

Nathan

Perch
I currently use a highly modified version of WebWizForums (using asp), which I am very happy with, but recently am finding it slow as my forum is very busy.

I am now planning to upgrade, and wondering if I should swap to the 'vBulletin' forum as used by JH here. The main reason is the speed, which i find impressive. Of course my concern is swapping to a php version. I have a Hosting account with JH, so assume I have no problem adding a php account to my plan in order to run the VBulletin forum?

Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome and will the effort involved be worth it?

Thanks

Nathan

OK, sorry to turn this into an agrument, but whcih is best asp or php!!!!!
Just kidding.

I have though grown up on asp. Now though with a busy forum, I am planning to upgrade from WWG (asp) to this forum (vB on php). It offers the features I need, especially the post moderation options. I realise that it will be almost impossible to convert any of my database from MS SQL to the format required by the vB forum, so that will be a shame.
Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome,

Cheers,

Nathan

sadly there are no conversions (i could be wrong, but im 97% positive) from your old board to vbulletin or phpbb..

seriously though, phpbb is way cooler!!!

vbulletin has a problem when marking forums as "Read" .. which really bugs me

doctorallia said:
sadly there are no conversions (i could be wrong, but im 97% positive) from your old board to vbulletin or phpbb..

I was planning to convert myself. Sofri from my office is a wizz with data bases. I was planning to save a local copy of the current MS SQL database and then copy the data over to the new database (that supports the php forum), probably table by table, then upload the new DB. Does this sound possible?

i would set up the board first, and then try to transfer the db. You will run into issues when converting users passwords, because it probably uses a different encryption.

and im not sure if the db structure of wwg is anywhere close to vB (or PHPbb).

good luck!

I realised the problem with passwords, and to be honest, I was just going to alter the forum code so that it does an un-encypted password check. Then the old passwoprd table would be fine.

What I plan to do is setup the new forum (it's worth the 60 dollars in my view), and give it a try. I might not bother trying to import all the members details and posts, and simply ask them to re-register.

Thanks for your help

Nathan

PS cost is not a problem for me as my site is commercial and profit making. Performance and features are my requirements..

Nathan

AMAZING.

I've purchased vB. Installation was so simple.
The speed of the forum is just amazing. The features are everything you have ever dreamed of.

More importantly, my members love it!

Cheers

Nathan

Nathan said:
PS cost is not a problem for me as my site is commercial and profit making. Performance and features are my requirements..

Nathan

I use free products on profit sites. There are a lot of free products with amazing features and performance.

The more you save on overhead, the higher your profit.

But.. regardless I am glad it worked out well for you1

Back