US President George W. Bush in New Delhi

Atul

Administrator
Staff member
President was visiting India from last few days. He signed a historical deal with India, where India will open civilian Nuclear Reactor for IAEA inspection. Indian can also buy civilian Nuclear Reactor from US and elsewhere for power generation purpose. Before leaving for Pakistan he stated "India's leadership is needed in a world hungry for freedom".

The "West" is running scared from China. I've heard the deal with India is one of those strategic decisions by the US to consolidate partnerships with other nuclear nations to retain a balance of power with China.

China is partnering with Africa & Niger... it's a constant game of world politics out there! :)

The US needs to do a lot itself, as we all do, to help freedom along, in both a domestic and international sense. There are many inequities among the citizens of all countries around the world.

antic said:
The "West" is running scared from China. I've heard the deal with India is one of those strategic decisions by the US to consolidate partnerships with other nuclear nations to retain a balance of power with China.

Well, whatever may be the US's strategic positioning.. India needs new soures of power and if it can buy nuclear fuel to power a new generation of nuclear reactors than India would be very greatful..

India has very little uranium... much lesser than China. However, it has more nuclear reactors than China has currently.. Recently one Indian nuclear reactor was almost shutdown because it ran out of nuclear fuel. However the russians stepped in and resupplied it

Damn, Australia is so slow on the uptake... we could be selling uranium to you, we have heaps of it. Perhaps the US agenda is keeping us out of the market. Our government has stooped of late to riding the coat-tail of the US and begging for scraps. :(

When nuclear energy is properly used and managed, it is among the cleanest most reliable power available. Very tiny amounts of radioactive fuels can generate more power than millions of kg of carbon fuels(coal/oil), I think if we are going to survive long into the future, nuclear will be the only way until something else is found.
Solar and Wind power are great, but the fact is, they are super expensive, and not reliable(we have something called darkness and stillness than really hamper those efforts!)
I have used solar power spamaalalals to my main power for a long time, but to power my whole small house solar, would cost the same as my house!

where India will open civilian Nuclear Reactor for IKEA
lol... it's a backup plan for when the uranium runs out. "The lights are going out in Delhi! Quick, throw another Klackbo into the chamber! And Fridolf or two for good measure!"

"No, not the Fridolf, she canna take it captain!!"

Must be some humor there I am not getting, something only Aussies/Brits know? :)

Oh WAIT IKEA furniture giant, I seem to remember that on some London newspapers, that some models of furniture?

antic said:
Damn, Australia is so slow on the uptake... we could be selling uranium to you, we have heaps of it. Perhaps the US agenda is keeping us out of the market.

India has alot of thorium though. And India right now is pioneering a new kind of Fast Breeder Reactor that can produce energy from thorium..

In india, we see that as the future to our nuclear power industry. But its going to take at least 15 to 20 years to mature and India really needs new energy sources to fuel the power demands..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_breeder_reactor

India has an active development program featuring both fast and thermal breeder reactors.

India?s first 40 MWt Fast Breeder Test Reactor (FBTR) attained criticality on 18th October 1985. Thus India becomes the sixth nation having the technology to built and operate a FBTR after US, UK, France, Japan and the former USSR.

India has developed and mastered the technology to produce the plutonium rich U-Pu mixed carbide fuel. This can be used in the Fast Breeder Reactor.

At present the scientists of the Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), one of the nuclear R&D institutions of India, are engaged in the construction of another FBR - the 500 MWe prototype fast breeder reactor- at Kalpakkam, near Chennai.

India has the capability to use Thorium Cycle based processes to extract nuclear fuel. This is of special significance to the Indian nuclear power generation strategy as India has the world's largest reserves of thorium ? about 360,000 tones ? that can fuel nuclear projects for an estimated 2,500 years. But the hitch is with the expensive nature of the construction of Fast Breeder Reactor in comparison with the Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors (PHWR) in use.

This is one of the main reasons why India looks for the cheaper option - Uranium fuel.

India faced nuclear sanctions since the 1970s... So its isolation has basically forced it to look into developing its own technology..

Yash said:
India faced nuclear sanctions since the 1970s... So its isolation has basically forced it to look into developing its own technology..
Sanctions are a terrible concept. A whole country's economy suffers as punishment for a transgression of the government of the day; the effects last well past the time it was ever relevant. The US/UN think it's an on/off switch.. "ok, sanctions lifted now, there you go!" And of course the World Bank is standing by rubbing their hands, always eager to give huge loans to help "kick start" things again.

*steps off soapbox* :blah:

India and China have an amazing science & engineering culture.. so forget uranium, discover cold fusion, that'll solve a few problems. :)

IKEA Nuclear Reactor [Value Pack]...

Sounds dangerous to me. You'd only have to overtighten the screws a little and the whole thing would fall apart. (I had it happen on a couple of chairs I had once, so I'm a bit of an expert on the whole thing). Before you knew it you'd have a basement full of melting uranium, a big hole in the floor that goes all the way to China, and a bunch of angry neighbours hammering the door to ask you what the smell is. And that's if you get all the screws in the first place.
Quite honestly, if IKEA sent me a nuclear reactor in a flat-pack box I'd have someone who knows what they're doing put it together. I'd use a couple of tubes of that Gorilla Glue stuff, too, instead of the silly little packets of sticky gook they throw in for free.

It's sheer madness.

oh, and if you'd like to hold on to Mr. Bush, no problem at all. We don't really need him back any time soon.

Good job on the DDOS attack today, btw... got instant live chat and answers right in the middle of it. Excellent work.

Back