USB snags - devices need drivers - at wits end

BluJag

Perch
I'm at my wits end with USB probs on my laptop. It has a Phoenix BIOS version 4.0 Release 6.0, a 2.4GHz P4 with 1GB of Ram and WIN XP Pro SP2 with all the latest updates and so on. I use ZoneAlarmPRO.

The snag is that whenever I connect a device such as a card reader or USB Phone (VOIP Phone for Skype) it comes up with new hardware found and identifies what is it, but then it can't find the drivers.

I've tried navigating to where the drivers are etc but it always says the driver does not contain the info needed. Now, with the USB Phone, the product does not come with any drivers, Win XP is supposed to just recognise it. On my desktop PC this is indeed the case.

I've downloaded the DriverGuide toolkit and that hasn't helped, I've been to the far corners of the net looking for solutions but no luck. I suspect it's a fairly simple fix (my laptop used to be fine, I can't remember what I did to make it behave like this) and so I would be very grateful indeed if anyone could shed some light on this problem before the men in white coats take me off to the funny farm.

Many thanks

Back