VERY FRUSTRATING..Timeout error

My site :www.caribbeanmassive.com was launched on Jodo about 6 + months ago. The first 3 months or so were fine. in the past 3 months..I had gotten maybe 6 timeout errors..that came and went. But in the past 2 weeks, it has gotten REALLY rediculous..I get them every few hours. It is making my site lose a lot of traffic and credibility.

The errors i get are either:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e31'

Timeout expired

/index.asp, line 42
---------------------------

or

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionRead (WrapperRead()).]General network error. Check your network documentation.

I've done tonnes of research, I'm no Programming/Database expert, tried pretty much all the suggestions(adding code to the connection string..such as "pooling =false" .."Command.CommandTimeOut = 60" etc) AND Nothing.

The Jodo support hasn't been much help besides getting the site back once i open a ticket. I've asked for their suggestions or what have you..and nada. I just need this to go away, I'm willing to pay if neccessary.

IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!

The issue you are facing is due to a Win2003 bug that affects certain websites (in total, about 3 websites have been reported to us).

It is due to the TCP/IP management on Win2003 and a fix is available in SP1 (release is expected in March or April). The few customers that are experiencing this issue, we have offered to move them to a Win2000 server.

We could do the same for you.

Yash said:
The issue you are facing is due to a Win2003 bug that affects certain websites (in total, about 3 websites have been reported to us).

It is due to the TCP/IP management on Win2003 and a fix is available in SP1 (release is expected in March or April). The few customers that are experiencing this issue, we have offered to move them to a Win2000 server.

We could do the same for you.
Do you have a MS KB article number so I can look into this one? PM is its sensitive. Thanks.

Yash,
I appreciate your feedback. I was never offered the explanation you provided here..would have put me a lot more at ease instead of my panicking, wondering if my site would ever be stable at Jodo.

If moving to Win2000 will fix this thing at this time, then I am all for it. Are there any significant downsides..for transferring from Win2003 to Win2000?

the only downside is that some of your visitors may not be able to reach your site for a 12 hour period as the new DNS settings take place

Logan, Stephen would give you more information on this. We have been intensively monitoring all outgoing mssql connections from Win7 to mssql3. The error happens occasionally and it happens when there are a large number of other open TCP/IP connections.

From our reading, we have discovered other developers and hosting companies have reported this issue when their application is hosted on a Win2003 server and connects to a mssql server. It appears that Win2003 performs some sort of cleanup operation that causes a connection delay or timeout, which can last for even upto a minute. If you go through SP1, their is a fix for this issue.

But as such, the issue remains undocumented with Microsoft.

In another related issue, MSSQL3 has 2 or 3 large 1GB + databases which can spike load at times. We plan to move them to sql4 as soon as it is up but that really would not be causing this issue.

At this time, i don't mind a 12 hr downtime(CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??!)..since this time out sometimes has the site down for that period of time anyway.Let me know what i need to do to get this done ASAP.
Thanks.

submit a ticket to be switched

It is not a 12 hour downtime. You wont be down for even a minute from our side

However, the change in DNS means that ISPs who have catched your DNS record would continue to route to the old server.

danjaruss said:
At this time, i don't mind a 12 hr downtime(CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??!)..since this time out sometimes has the site down for that period of time anyway.Let me know what i need to do to get this done ASAP.
Thanks.

Well, i think your issue is different then.

This particular issue occurs very randomly, maybe a few times in a day and disappears with a refresh.

If your site is down continuously, it could be a totally different issue.

Also, I was mistaken, the error you are getting is a timeout while the error caused by this issue is a SQL denied one. We are investigating, just put in a ticket when it happens again

Sometimes it's a timeout and other times it refers to a Network related error.

I have requested the site be transferred to Win2000 in any case. I'll see what happens after that.

from what I see here this is a different issue totally.

The timeout litterally lasts 30 seconds or less until 2003 can close some connections, then it works fine for a while and happens again.

Back