VPS antivirus

cdog

Perch
I asked the support team if theres any antivirus available at the OS level for the windows VPS's, they said no and said I would need to install my own if I wanted virus protection, is this correct? sorry If I get this terminology wrong but is there antivirus protection on the hardware node and if so is my vps protected by it?

no VPS is not protected by it, as it can't see all your files native that way.
Here is some info for you:
http://kb.swsoft.com/article_164_1308_en.html

AVG and F-Secure are supported, others can only be on the host node which doesn't exactly provide full security to VPS itself.

However IMO anti virus woudl not be the best option, you woudl be better of with anti trojan and configuring the firewall to prevent the auto trojans. Its how 100% of the virii I have found got there, people browsing on VPs and getting trojans, or having insecure upload tools on sites, or weak passwords(which we now insure is stronger by modifiying at setup, but some still change it to simple, not a good idea).

BTW, I would recommend F-Secure for Av on server if you must, it is lightweight and designed for server, very non obtrusive, and very cheap. it has a good info source and is one of the longest term independent AV firms as well.

Thanks steven
Excuse my ignorance is the product (anti - trojan) you're speaking of or are you saying that any malware /spyware program will do the job. For example a Squared anti-trojan.

Thanks again Stephen
Ive some other questions in regard to security but heres not the place to ask them will do it via support

Really, feel free to ask here. Security wise on WinVPs much is up to you, there are a few apps that won't work due to the nature of it, such as some of the AV's, but most everything else is up to you.

Ok Then
Just wanted to know what basic border security you guys have in place to protect the vps servers and how secure the default vps configuration is

We only block the SMB ports to the server, as they are one of the most common trojaned ports.

Default depends on what you get, WInVPS alone or with Plesk, with plesk is a bit less secure as it has a large amount of services open, raw VPS only has a few and you enable as you need.

Back