Web server filesystem - database connectivity

nikskin

Guppy
If I were to signup...

How are your web servers and SQL Servers routed? Can I expect a high speed, secure connection between the web server and sql server?

If I were to allow uploads to certain sections of my site, can I pull this data from the uploaded filesystem directly in SQL Server?

Do you allow timed jobs to perform DTS actions?

The servers are seperate, they are at switch level only feet from each other in the same rack.

As for pulling from SQL to the filesystem of the windows webserver, I do not believe that is possible.

As for timed jobs, set from where, your local machine of the web server side? No, we will not set a scheduled task on the windows servers.

Stephen said:
As for timed jobs, set from where, your local machine of the web server side? No, we will not set a scheduled task on the windows servers.
Even CFScheduled jobs?

We do allow CF scheduling, but it is on a different server and does not run ASP/ASP.NET

Thanks Stephen for the response.

I think I can get around the filesystem issue by storing blobs in the database so this should not pose a problem.

Regarding the timed jobs: For exampe: I could create a new HTML newsletter for every week/month/whatever and save it to the database. This is simple so far.

What I would like to do though is have a DTS package, or stored proc, called from a SQL Server managed job, scheduled on SQL server to email this newsletter.

From your response above it would seem possible to create the proc to call CDOSYS, I just then need it scheduled. Is this possible?

You would need to contact sales and see if we can work something out there, it is not a normal service offering.

you could always schedule with a cron, but this would force you to run your script outside of DTS and on the webserver.

Thanks jmbeach for the input but I was thinking of using a Windows server, rather than a linux box, and there only really are two options I can think of off-hand:

Either you schedule the DTS package execution via the normal windows scheduler which, rightly so, a developer doesn't normally have access to.

OR, as said:

schedule the package via a scheduled job within SQL Server. This, to me, is the best and most sensible option. Job scheduling is part of the normal SQL Server set-up and to have access to a SQL Server account I would expect this to include scheduling.

jodohost is seriously being considered as a new host for us so HOPEFULLY, we will come to some agreement.

I can set a SQL Schedule for you provided it does not adversely affect any other customers on the server.

I would be looking at running a job every 60 minutes. I've been working with SQL Server and DTS packages for many years and understand your concerns. It should not adversely affect other users on the server and in terms of resources will load the server much less than attempting the same calls via ASP.

Another concern, of my own, is that we're trying to get a decent project off the ground, which could turn out to be something big, but we're struggling with capital. Hence I am keen to look for a host that will both satisfy our basic, but essential, needs in the short term and be able to supply us with dedicated servers, when need be, in the long term.

Thanks Stephen again for the response.

I don't know much about JodoHost so may be speaking out of turn. But if they have dedicated servers you might look into that. Then you can do whatever the heck you want with it...scheduled tasks, sp, dts, etc. I've had one for years (at various hosts) and would never go back!

Back