Website down again - sigh

Edit. Never mind, seems to have sorted its self. It was another internal server error.

I'm going to put a monitor on the site to check exactly how long the site is down for from here on in. Anything more than a few hours and I will withhold the appropiate percentage of my hosting fee.

The VPS is managed by you, so long as the VPS is up, it is available for you to restart the services.

It is however your responsibility as a credible host to make sure that the servers are functioning normally under reasonable load and offering your paying customer a reasonable uptime. You can not expect a customer to be constantly checking the status of their website because your servers are failing, either for hardware or software misconfiguration reasons, frankly I don't care which it is.

I did not restart the services myself earlier. The problem fixed itself, suggesting a temporary server issue hence me putting a monitoring program (3rd party hosted) on the site to monitor its up time. If it notes that the up time is not very good, which I suspect its not, I will be looking at my options - I'm not a person that likes to feel like his custom is been taken advantage of. I appreciate that on the main Jodo have fixed their problems when reported, however they simply occur to frequently under what I consider very ordinary requirements (a basic HTML and ASP site, with no directly hosted database and around 45,000 user sessions per month).

BalearicJobs, we proactively monitor all VPS servers and fix server-wide issues very fast. We have a number of sensors to monitor issues.

But sometimes, IIS can act in unpredictable manners due to coding issues, low ram (on your account) or other issues. We can't proactively monitor your vps account, that is your job. We can assist you with fixing problems, but VPS accounts aren't fully managed.

If you feel your site is crashing often, and it must be due to the VPS environment, you can ask support to put your site on our monitoring system so we can look into it and see what the issue is

The fact is even on a shared server iisresets are required. It would be impossible for us to monitor every sub VPS, we monitor the host nodes to ensure they are up.

In addition to this we would end up with many alerts when a user is simply doing development on their VPS etc.

The VPS is like a dedicated server, we assist in management task in a minor way when asked and ensure the VPS itself is up, which yours is. IIS does have some self fix mechenisms, pool timeouts, ping protection(it does a self 'ping' to itself), it tries to auto restart when these cases arrive but it is not 100%.

I'd recommend you setup a monitor at siteuptime or alertra, then when you get an alert login and do an iisreset. Go to Start, Run, type cmd push enter, then type iisreset.

I don't expect you to proactively monitor the service, you've explained your role in VPS management before, I expect the VPS enviroment not to fail to frequently under normal load. As much as I don't expect you to monitor it, I don't believe your ethic to leave normal customers whom are on the most part not IT managers to correct or reconfigure server services which cause failures. I honestly don't think that is unresonable.

I have set up the montioring service. Thank you for the suggestion.

:rolleyes:

BTW, its down again. The message board still seems to be working (edit. message board just went offline as well) but asp pages have an "internal server error" and I cannot login in via remote desktop or directly into Plesk via my browser.

:D Sorry, its so poor, its actually getting comical. Where did your get your servers by the way, the local market? :lol:

I've open another ticket.

Here is a capture from my power panel? You telling me your server is running right?

ID Current Use Limit Units Description
cpuunits n/a 350 pcs CPU Units
Click to show/hide the controls block.Disk Quota
diskspace 1,994,732 6,188,000 1K-blocks Disk space
Click to show/hide the controls block.Primary UBC Parameters
numproc 44 70 pcs Number of processes
vprvmem 404,578,304 408,944,640 bytes VPS memory
numsessions 1 2 pcs Number of TS sessions

--- I'm not sure what that means, but it is what is showing as been very close to its limit. But there is nothing running on the server that could possibly use anything like that amount of memory!!!!! X(

The problem has NOTHING to do with the server at all, it is because you are using 389MB of 390MB on your account, I know you like to make these snippy comments and yes they are getting to me, but this is NOT our problem.

There is no problem on the hardware, there is no problem on the server, it is simply your IIS
You have one IIs session taking over 100Mb of ram, and some app called "teatimer" taking nearly 50MB of ram, this looks to be part of spybot search and destroy, have you by any chance had more problems SINCE installing this app? Maybe turning it off would help?

and yes i just bumped you up to 410MB of RAM so you could login and it took all the RAM up IMMEDIATELY.

And yes, your server is running properly.
We freely gave you 380MB instead of 320MB, now 410MB of RAM, almost 100Mb of RAM free, at no extra charge, we have gone very far on this to assist you.

This is a list of services in use at the time of the error

25160 0 w3wp.exe 8 98960 00:00:49 NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
60592 13 TeaTimer.exe 4 39312 20:06:35 VPS213\Administrator
26116 0 iexplore.exe 8 30160 00:00:06 VPS213\Administrator
45808 0 plesksrv.exe 8 20572 00:08:39 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
43900 0 psa-serv.exe 8 20568 00:00:02 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
7768 0 DrWebCom.exe 8 19060 00:01:33 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
59972 0 explorer.exe 8 18716 00:00:22 VPS213\Administrator
2056 0 svchost.exe 8 15536 00:01:05 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
11932 0 mysqld-nt.exe 8 12876 00:00:03 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
41896 0 inetinfo.exe 8 12448 00:08:17 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
37944 0 services.exe 9 12268 00:00:40 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
6692 0 lsass.exe 9 11400 00:01:09 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
62308 0 w3wp.exe 8 11200 00:00:00 VPS213\IWAM_plesk(default)
35308 0 winlogon.exe 13 10852 00:00:13 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
59952 0 wmiprvse.exe 8 8612 00:02:37 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
59968 0 svchost.exe 8 8548 00:00:07 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
61324 0 MESMTPC.EXE 8 7732 00:08:24 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

ok, iexplore taking 30Mb, why is internet explorer open at the moment? teamtimer at time, taking 40MB, w3wp(this is iis) it taking 100MB, just under, I think you are not using mysql, you can stop this service and save almost 13MB RAM.

on terminal services, if you ever login, remember to go to Start, shutdown, Log Off, or Start, log off, close any open apps, as each one running takes RAM.

ok, iexplore taking 30Mb, why is internet explorer open at the moment? teamtimer at time, taking 40MB, w3wp(this is iis) it taking 100MB, just under, I think you are not using mysql, you can stop this service and save almost 13MB RAM.

on terminal services, if you ever login, remember to go to Start, shutdown, Log Off, or Start, log off, close any open apps, as each one running takes RAM.

I've got no idea why Iexplore is reporting it is open, because its not, nor was it at the time that I captured that process list. Which is intresting.

Teatimer. Fair point. I will uninstall it. I installed it as it was suggested to me as a good way of monitoring if the failures were been caused by malicous software, which to me seemed palusable given its seeminly random nature. It should be mentioned though, that the reason I installed that software to try and get to the bottom of the problems and they were occuring before teatimer was installed.

I have stopped mysql several times now, as you say I am not using it, I've got no idea why it is running again. I will stop it once more.

Even so Stephen, those values come no were near from what I can see to the maximum RAM on the account, which is why I keep suggesting that something may be misconfigured. The answer seems to be to keep throwing more RAM at the problem, which is great that you are good enough to do that for free, however it seems just to max out everytime you do this. I appreciate you have thrown more RAM at it again, however I would bet with good money that in a couple of weeks, despite not installing anything I will get my old friend "Internal Server Error" again.

I aplogise for the server comment, it was actually meant light heartedy, but I can see how it has been taken another way. Also you mention I make "snippy" comments, but I look back at my posts and I think I have been pretty pacient, I even left a lengthy complimentary post when you kindly helped sort out the database problems, which I appreciate were nothing directly to do with Jodohost. You may be getting frustrated, but think what its like for me, who is trying to get a sucessful website together but is instead been met with consistent and differing IT issues - I have been with Jodohost, both on VPS and your shared accounts, for a fair time now, however I can't think of a time were I have gone much over two months without some issue cropping up. That is very frustrating. I am far from IT inept, I use to work in IT support although that did not give me experience at running a full blown web server, I hate to think what a person without an IT background would deal with all this?

Anyway, I will have a good look through the server again tonight, much to my wifes distain :)D ) and see if I can see places to "trim" down further but I get a strong feeling we will be here again in a month or so, if not sooner.

first, you SHOULD not have too many more issues unless you get another app that uses a lot of ram going, as i lowered the app pool memory limits from what I had set previously, they should recycle on their own before giving errors, so long as they have the ram to reach that point.

Now for processes I have checked and not seen anything too private here, so I am posting a more complete list of your processes, and the sizes they were at the time (in last 30 minutes I have been looking at them) with a little annoation as well for what they are.

This post is just a FYI, and partially example for other that may be int he same case.

what you listed was not a complete process list, below is from your VPS, 42 processes running. Currently taking 267MB of RAM.

csrss 3MB (windows process)
svchost.exe 3.8Mb RAM - system
svchost.exe 8.5MB RAM - system
explorer.exe 4.9mb this is the desktop
login.scr 1.5MB screensaver
svchost.exe 2.1MB - system service
psa-serv.exe 18.3MB plesk service
mysqld-nt.exe 10MB mysql server
mepoc.exe 4MB mail enable post office
winlogin.exe 11MB system service
MELSC.exe 2MB mail enable list server
lsass.exe 10MB system service
TeaTimer.exe 8.3Mb currently Spybot scanner, it varies greatly in ram taken from what i see.
srvcsurg.exe 3.6MB windwos remote administration service
named.exe 5.4MB your dns server
w3wp.exe 52MB an IIs app pool
svchost.exe 18.4MB windows service
svchost.exe 4.5MB windows service
MESMTPC.EXE 9.5MB Mailenable SMTP
wmiprvse.exe 9.4MB WMI service
svchost.exe 3.6MB windwos service
PopPassD.exe 2.9MB Pop3 Auth Server
traymonitor.exe .9MB plesk service monitor
smss.exe .4MB windows service
appmgr.exe 4MB windows remote admin tool thatlikley be turned off
ctfmon.exe .4MB language toolbar tool
svchost.exe 2.8MB windows service
services.exe 3.5MB windwos service
rdpclip.exe .7MB remote desktop clipboard
emailagent.exe 2.9MB aspemail mail agent
elementmgr.exe 3.8MB this goes with appmgr.exe same comment
inetinfo.exe 12MB this is a part of IIS
svchost.exe 2.3MB windwos service
msdtc.exe 4.2MB MS Distributed Transaction Coordnator
MEMTA.exe 3MB mail enable MTA
plesksrv.exe 17MB plesk service
w3wp.exe 15MB another IIS application pool
MEPOPS.exe 4.8MB Mail enable Pop Server
pleskcontrolpanel.exe 4.8MB plesk service
DrWebCom.exe 19MB anti virus for email, this size can vary on email quantity
winlogin.exe 2.2MB windows login

now, as you see windows has a lot of services going, and some of them can likley be turned off to 1. secure server and 2. save ram
the appmgr and elementmgr.exe I believe can also be turned off without a problem.
We have listed on our site in the notes that a raw VPS will use 80MB of RAM in windows services, and with plesk loaded sitting idle, 150Mb of RAM from what I see these figures are still very accurate.

Just one more note:
Some apps like the w3wp.exe's drwebcom.exe and in your case the teatimer.exe will vary greatly in size depending on what they are processing at the time, IIs alone can easily use all the ram if not set proeprly. I had quite a long time ago set your IIS to recycle auto at 110MB of ram used, with teatimer on I set it now to 80MB so it should avoid the internal server error

Bit of good news I think...

I've uninstalled mysql, spybot and disabled mailenable and generally try to trim the fat so to speak. I've just checked and all services still seem to be working correctly including the email facilities (aspmail), I am now running on the following

vprvmem 129,892,352 440,401,920 bytes VPS memory

Is that more in line to what should be expected for my level of use?

Back