What is it like living in 1990?

Stephen

US Operations
Staff member
I am getting memories of what it is like to live in 1990 now with no internet and cell signal unreliable :)

I have gone 7 days having only mobile internet on the road and one night in a hotel! On the other hand I am sleeping well :)

Only mobile internet? How could you survive?:D

The last time I lived in North America was pre-internet, and even then, I had several friends who had completely eschewed just about all technology and lived in the woods in Yurts and teepees year-round.

Here in Micronesia, there are areas that still live traditionally, without power or household telephones, many of these by choice rather than necessity. Even on Saipan, where development is high, there are folks who choose to live the "old way" and have no problems doing so.

Ironically, I was a late adopter of cell phones; I didn't get one until I was forced to for business reasons in 2001. If it weren't for business, I'd likely have little problem joining my friends up there on the mountain. I really have no complaints, however, as I enjoy doing what I do and embrace technology as a means to an end, rather than an end unto itself.

Now excuse me while I go spend 4 hours researching the latest "bling-bling" laptop...:p

It's harder than ever nowadays to run away from the internet :)
I was traveling last month and I flew from atlanta to frankfurt. I actually had full internet connectivity on that 9 hour flight, 30k feet in the air over an ocean.. and it was reasonably fast :) Quite amazing.. I wonder what it takes to keep locked on to a satellite traveling at that speed, so high

In my line of work I feel like I am totally cut off, but wow have I slept good, and my phone email DOES work so I can't totally ecpae(however phone internet won't hold session long in the new office/apartment, so I can't get online from it)

stephen and tanmaya will both be in miami end of this month. We are setting up a new cage at Miami Exchange. This is a top datacenter in the same class as NAP of Americans. I'll be posting more details later on

I get my Phone and DSL installed on the 27th! Soon to be out of no internet luxury life!

Back