What will define Web 3.0?

Yash

Bass
I'm opening up this thread to ask what technologies and web platforms you feel will define the next great leap in websites, webdesign and webhosting?

The way I see it, on-demand content and media, along with hosted applications is the future of web hosting. In the area of on-demand media, I see audio, video and flash streaming as becoming increasingly popular.

What are your views? For 2007, we plan to invest time and money in new areas of hosting that can benefit our customers and our resellers. So feedback would be nice.

It's not a revolutionary leap, and a stretch to call it Web 3.0, but I can share some of our plans for 2007.

We have customers that provide training, and have contracted us to build online training sites.

So, we are very interested in good support of tools like Moodle and Scorm and will also be looking to stream Flash video.

I also have a wish-list... How about viable support for micro-payments from the credit card vendors? I have a few business models in mind that start to fall apart or have to be ad-supported because the credit card fees are too costly for small payments. If we could realistically charge a user a few cents for some simple services, I could really go crazy with some neat ideas.

And mayby more ways that contributers can profit $$-wise or otherwise from their content .. or traffic .. that would be a killer ..

As for micro-payments.. such systems exist, though I do not know of any based on credit cards.. but to be honest, credit cards suck anyway :)

I live in the Netherlands, where credit cards are a lot less common than the US. People with a credit card are likely to be abroad regularly or they're internet shopping junkies :)
We have a system called iDEAL that makes use of your own bank's internet banking to make payments. It's getting very widespread support on Dutch webshops. It's transaction fee is 48 to 63 eurocents I believe. A lot better than credit cards, but not quite low enough for micro-payments.

We also have a system called MiniTix. You can "charge" your MiniTix account using iDEAL and then make micro-payments using that account. Transaction fee is 5% with a 10 eurocent minimum and a 60 eurocent maximum, so it's better suited for micro-payments.

Unfortunately none of those systems are internationalized :( In fact, the iDEAL has only fairly recently been made available to Dutch banks other than the 3 that originally developed it.

One downside of iDEAL is that for now it can only do (immediate) payments. You can't just get authorization and decide to cash in at a later time.

I think that Flash comunication Server services and streaming for audio and Video may be areas very interesting to offer our customers

It depends on what you mean by sharepoint, they have TOO MANY products named such, from sharepoint portal, sharepoint services 1.)(frontpage 2002 really), sharepoint 2.0

its NOT web "3.0" its not even web 2.0, but it could be a good feature sure.

Dedicated servers A.S.A.P. we been waiting since last August. I don't like the company I resell for, and now waiting for you guys again.

now we know the secret!!!

We are working on some of the other things :D

But about the coffee, at the Datacenter we have a on demand machine, it is the juice that fuels the network!

SQLServer Reporting services may be another good services to offer.

A lot of customers has web sites that don't require a dedicated server, but they are needing reporting services in it

Back