When Is The Next MySQL Upgrade?

bradovich

Perch
Hello,

Just wondering when Jodohost plans to upgrade to the 4.1 version of MYSQL. I have a customer who wants to use the Moodle learning management system version 1.6, but it requires MySQL 4.1.16 to install.

forget mysql4.....when are we getting mysql 5???

5 has been out for some time now. it has stored prodcedures, which would be really nice for some of my mysql based apps.

wotech said:
forget mysql4.....when are we getting mysql 5???

5 has been out for some time now. it has stored prodcedures, which would be really nice for some of my mysql based apps.
Seconding this. The general reseller hosting community has been dragging its feet for some time about PHP5/mySQL5 while many dedicated outfits (including some I've worked for) find it to be a completely stable production environment. I'm not sure what the impetus is at JodoHost and I'm not trying to assign motive because I've had very few problems here and have found JodoHost to be the best reseller host that I've used (going on year two now!), but I would like to know why the upgrade path is now a year or two behind schedule for the industry. It's becoming untenable in this industry to have to ask for the technology to keep pace with the world, something that should be part of the business model.

Thanks!

It is the control panel holding us back on this, and evne upgrading to the new "2.5" does not support mysql 5 :(

Stephen said:
It is the control panel holding us back on this, and evne upgrading to the new "2.5" does not support mysql 5 :(
Stephen, thanks for the quick reply.

I've run into that across the industry. I hate to complain at you, because I know you'd rather not be held back by the CP software (my last host had this same issue with Plesk instead of H Sphere, so I've run into this before); however, I am forced to inquire further about this kind of thing - how tenable is it for the entire reseller hosting industry to be dependent on CPanel (bleh), Plesk and H Sphere when these applications have a history of falling years behind the upgrade path for the primary technologies they're built to support? Is there any solution to this besides the "hold your breath" or "move hosts" approaches - niether of which will help? I find it bizarre mainly because the technologies themselves are incredibly legacy friendly.

The newly-released H-Sphere 2.5 supports MySQL 4.x!

Is there an upgrade looming in the future now? I could really use 4.1.12 or higher...

We just had a prospect email us needing mySQL version 5. What version is currently on JH's servers?
Also what version of PHP is currently installed on the servers?

Thank you in advance.

Any update on thei please, I have people wanting to use Moodle 1.7 as well and it won't install unless MySQL 4.1.16 is up. ETA at all?
Thanks

Noticed that PSoft has released yet another patch to version 2.5. 23 Nov 2006 2.5 Patch 7 (2.5.723.20061123)

How many have to be released before we get an upgrade installed?

It is not simply a patch, we have been told by psoft that is is NOT ready for large cluster like ours. It is a MASSIVE upgrade, and the 2.5 series really doens't offer much, 2.5.1 that was renamed to 3.0 offers more options and it is in RC status.

Let me put it this way:
2.5 offeed asp.net 2, but only 1.1 OR 2.0 at host side set.
2.5.1(3.0RC2) offers user switching of asp.net version, the only way to do it.
2.5 offered php5 support, but only set from host side
2.5.1(3.0RC2) offers more flexilbe php configs

They both have a large windows bug that has not yet been resolved, I am not going to discuss it in here, it is being discussed privately on the psoft forums.

Is there no way, for the time being, a new independant MYSQL could be placed on the network. I have 3 customers now asking to go up to Moodle 1.7 and I'm going to have to source an external DB only server. Anybody requesting the more modern MOODL install would then be set up an account on there.

Just an idea.. I dont want to find some one else to do this if theres a way here..

There is really no way at this time as the versions have different libraries, which work differently. Basically if we were to do it outside of hsphere like we have with MSSQL 2005, it would not work because the libraries are different. Same for the windows side of using mysql, mixing the old and new versions just does not work because of libclient differences, one would have errors logging ing and working and the other would work.

I wish they would do that.
I'm in the process of setting up MySQL 5 on my VPS account. That should work for the time being, but I'd be much more comfortable using a db server that Jodo maintains.

I didn't know I could do that... don't really understand VPS accounts.. will look at them now though.. Thank you

VPS's aren't exactly the easiest thing...especially for Linux novices (myself included). The VPS accounts are very barebones, so you have to install quite a few things. There are some things preinstalled though--I think Apache and an older version of MySQL are preinstalled...

What would be useful is a quick guide, step by step of how to do this on a VPS...

Step one: Setting up the VPS walk through
Step two: Installing the new MySQL
Step three: Hints and tips, maybe in its on forum string

I know its not ideal... but it would be so useful guys

:]

What would be useful is a quick guide, step by step of how to do this on a VPS...

Any help on the above anyone?

any news when we'll be moving forward, I have customers wanting to use Moodle 1.7 and I'm turning them away. Timeframe?

I just tried to install Moodle 1.7.1 for a customer, and it failed because of the fact that MySQL 4.1.16 is REQUIRED to run this software.

I guess I'll have to open another account somewhere where the latest versions of MySQL are installed..

Oh well... Dang it, I really like using JodoHost, but I can't pass up this customer....

Can I ask for a six month-later update of where the solution is at and what the expected upgrade horizon is?

Could we have an update on this please.. I have 5 moodle site who want to upgrade. Can you tell us where your at?

Also if the above is possible please?

Thank you

Back