Willing to pay - Custom Components

ASPMan

Guppy
I understand JodoHost's decision to not allow Custom Components. I wanted to know if that I were willing to pay a monthly fee, would JodoHost allow me to have one installed then? I'm willing to pay a setup/review fee as well.

I'd be forced not to host some sites otherwise.

I'm sorry, we take our security policy very seriously. No review process can determine if a compiled component is safe. So many times the writers of a component themselves may not know how many ways their component could be exploited. Therefore, we only run and install components that are popularly used on a shared hosting environment.

Our policy is stated here:
http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=161

What component(s) do you need? Alternate components are provided by Jodohost. Are you using ASP or .NET? I believe that .NET custom appls. are allowed.

Yeah, scrap all that ASP DLL-from-hell crap and just go .NET... everything is compiled VB code that sits right in the bin directory off your website's root. Much simpler and easier...
-Dave

Yash said:
So many times the writers of a component themselves may not know how many ways their component could be exploited.

I'd say 99% +. I suppose you could spend a few hundred thousand and show the component was highly secure, but who could afford that?

Not only the writers, but the test team is usually surprised. It's always much more obvious after it's exploited :(

If you need custom .Net code, I'll write it :)

That is correct, we aren't allowing DLL registrations, we have a standard set and are sticking to it.

Most options(granted not all), can be used in other ways. They might be a bit longer and harder, but they can be done without add-ons.

Back