Win 4 5 6 11 14 15 and others down

It seems that JH is having a server meltdown this week.

Today we are affected by downed servers with the 4,5,6,11,14,15 and the rest.

Sadly, after finding ALL of our 200+ hosted sites affected (because our DNS.1 resolver is on one of these domains) we leave a Friday afternoon by contacting and replying to all of our clients - that ... we chose a ISP company who has ALL of its Technical services resting on one individual - and that individual is currently traveling - but will be in DC later to address the issue.

Boy, do we have egg on our face because we chose JH.

Obviously this is not the best way to run a company - to have the one Tech person who can look into this - away from the office!!

Let's all say a prayer that Stepho is not delayed in traffic and arrives safely at his destination. Our Christmas, Holidays and search engine traffic rely on you AND ONLY YOU.

Unbelievable. Posted so perhaps JH can hire and staff people who can come be responsible and accountable to us , their clients.

ummm, there is more than me, I was on the way to datacenter when it happened and you have way more servers listed there than were down.

I was already headed here, for installing new hardware, and was in traffic but as not 'traveling'

win14/15/"the rest" aren't on cluster2, nor the affected head node.

the office is about 10 minutes from the datacenter, I had just left there when I was called that there was a problem, I caught every light and had heavy traffic as it was shift end time just minutes after 5.

I am not sure what you are talking about with DNS resolver issue either, I think such must be specific to you, as DNS is up and going fine.

First. I am so glad you arrived safely. And second. That you were able to resolve the this issue.

OK. let's split hairs on the # of servers. The CSR said a few (we have sites on three different resellers) If you read the forum posts of servers being down in the past 48 hours, plus the IT post that lists a few .... we're pretty close in numbers. But looking at the forum posts, there appears to be quite a mess with the servers

Our problem might have been that the DNS1 was on one of those that affected the entire roster of sites we host, but that could not be confirmed with the CSR as we were able to FTP to the sites.

As for JH having someone else besides you on the ground ... please feel free to read my "chat transcript" with the front end tech-csr. He said .. the person to deal with this " will be arriving in DC " and will take a look at it. I replied you mean there is only one person JH has that can resolve this ... and he is traveling.

His reply ... "Yes".

I continued to question if there was absolutely no one else in the company and he replied - ... only you! And you'd be in DC in 10 to check on the problem

Feel free to post the transcript if I am in error. Or delete this and educate the front line about the rest of your tech staff ; -)

Not reassuring.

It was a misunderstanding really. The chat reps don't know schedules for the US side, in fact the techs don't either, there is no need to, they can call anytime and someone is within 15 minutes. I was the only one on the way at the time. He/We did not mean to scare you in that. While I do travel sometimes our other staff handles issues here, and I still post for them at this time. When the time is right, should it be right, we will put them on the forums and twitter for direct posting as well, but there is little need for it now as it is about 90% hardware and inventory work.

Now this week has been abnormally rough I will agree, but we post every issue and keep clients up to date, even this chat you were updated on the fly as I informed to techs I was on way stuck in traffic etc. The word 'traveling' was misunderstood a bit to mean far away, I was simply driving from our office to data center facility(then to dinner, which got delayed a bit, but still left and why replying now)

there isn't a mess with servers sometimes there are hairy weeks, we post about most every issue, it isn't to put fear or make scared, just so clients know when something happens. We even post when servers are being slow but not fully down many many times. It's just the way we've done things for a long time, and I see no need to change or hide anything. We have consolidated some servers into very powerful nodes, but still have 100's of servers running and sometimes problems happen.

Back