Win XP max windows limit?

skypanther

Exalted Code Master!
I have a Windows XP question that I'll admit is probably best suited for a different forum. But I'm not exactly sure where to turn. And, not knowing how to phrase the question is keeping me from just finding an answer by googling.

I'm hitting an odd limit on the number of windows I can have open. Once I cross that limit, I get partial dialog boxes, apps won't open, buttons are missing, etc.

For a while I thought some apps were corrupt. The problems were mostly with apps like Photoshop...for example, the Save for Web dialog box wouldn't open but the Save As one would. But, it's happening with everything from Windows Explorer (either won't open or I get only the left or right pane, no toolbar, etc.) to Firefox (I can't open a new tab).

I'm running XP with SP3 on a core 2 duo system with 2 GB of physical RAM. Seems to me I recall that at least older versions of Windows had some sort of systems tables that recorded open windows and such and that the size of those tables were relatively fixed regardless of your RAM. I thought the problem was fixed long about Windows 2000 though.

So, maybe that's not it. Any suggestions on what the problem might be? I've reinstalled apps. Applied the latest Windows updates. Quitting open apps helps for a while, and restarting takes care of the problem till I get too many things going again.

I'll admit, I run a lot of stuff. I always have twirl, itunes, skype, apache, mysql, coldfusion, web cam stuff, etc. going on in the background with Thunderbird, Firefox, Dreamweaver, FileZilla, MS Word, and a handful of other apps in the foreground.

Thanks,
Tim

Home

A friend suggested I look for apps with memory leaks. Or, bad RAM. I'll run memtest86 this evening after work. Haven't had a chance to check for mem leaks, though I know Firefox is a prime candidate.

Tim

Back