WIN5 - Timezone

Huthy

Guppy
I thought I read somewhere that WIN5 was now on GMT. I do not believe this to be true.

It have a piece of ASP that is currently telling me the server is at 05 March 2004 at 2:38am, yet in Australia (Brisbane) it is 04 March 2004 9:38am. If Australia is GMT+10 then I have no idea what timezone the WIN5 is in - or the time and date is wrong.

My site runs forums and all of the dates on new posts are wrong.

Anyone got any ideas.

Regards,

Huthy

Huthy said:
I thought I read somewhere that WIN5 was now on GMT. I do not believe this to be true.
Anyone got any ideas.

I think the servers are set to Eastern time (GMT-5) and the logfiles are GMT. Perhaps Yash or someone can verfiy this for us.

riley

If someone could verify it because if Australia (Brisbane) is GMT + 10 and the server is 15 hours ahead of Australia... GMT + 25 (I DON'T THINK SO.......)

So yeah, verification on the following please:

1. What is the timezone on WIN5?
2. Is the date and time correct on WIN5?

Regards,

Huthy

UPDATE:

The server time appears to have changed... it is now GMT -5. This is where it always used to be on WIN4.

Is this where it is going to stay?

Thanks,

Huthy

Huthy said:
If someone could verify it because if Australia (Brisbane) is GMT + 10 and the server is 15 hours ahead of Australia... GMT + 25 (I DON'T THINK SO.......)

So yeah, verification on the following please:

1. What is the timezone on WIN5?
2. Is the date and time correct on WIN5?

Regards,

Huthy

Huthy,

I should have mentioned that I am on win1. So just because the scheme I stated has worked for me, doesn't mean you are loosing your marbles. However, I think all the servers are SUPPOSED to be set up the same way.

riley

I'm on win5 and my asp application is also telling me it's March 5. This is going to confuse the hell out of my clients store employees who now have to deal with orders that will be out of sync with each other....

I'm in the USA - and here it's still March 3

Can someone fix please?

This has completely f***ed up my site forum. When the site did come back online, there was a flurry of posts by angry customers, but these are dated 5th. Today more angry people and my replies dated the 4th - the forum (WWG) sorts them in date order - making the whole thing unreadable!

Thanks Jodohost - not only are my domains not working, but to my customers, I look an idiot!

Nathan

I know its very easy to blame us but we didn't realize that the clock was set ahead and it was the last problem we could have expected

We corrected this issue as soon as it was reported to us

Hmm, it seems the Win5 Timezone is GMT -5, but the timezone is actually set to GMT. This according to some automated report e-mails:

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 06:00:23 -0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:05:14 +0100

Periodical update report
-----------------------
Execution timestamp: 2004-03-09 11:00:05 (GMT)

As shown above, the e-mail is claiming to have been sent 5 hours before the report script was actually run. The reason the script itself is showing the right time, is because it's using an MS SQL getutcdate() call.

So technically, the clock is off by 5 hours, and the Windows timezone setting needs to be adjusted to GMT-5.

Has the time on Win5 changed? Yesterday, when I got my site moved to (and finally working on) Win5, the server time was apparently 2 hours behind my timezone (Pacific). I told my users to adjust their time on the forum to compensate for the change. Today I notice posts are 5 hours ahead of the current time. Now I have to get users to adjust the time back 5 hours.

What's going on?

Yes, the time settings on Win5 have changed, upon my request via ticket, because they were wrong.

The system clock was corresponding to GMT-5, but the timezone was set to GMT. I requested this would be fixed because various scripts and automated e-mails were getting inproperly timestamped.

Someone from ticket support changed the timezone settings, but in the process also adjusted the clock 5 hours backwards, so now the timezone was correct, but local time was off by 5 hours instead of just "GMT time" according to Win5.

I noticed this a few hours later, and now the time settings are correct. That is, the timezone is set to EST (GMT -5) and local time is according to that setting as is the case on the other servers as well.

Technically, the clock is behind by 95 seconds, but if you're bothered by that you could do some manual adjusting :)

SubSpace said:
Yes, the time settings on Win5 have changed, upon my request via ticket, because they were wrong.

Someone from ticket support changed the timezone settings, but in the process also adjusted the clock 5 hours backwards, so now the timezone was correct, but local time was off by 5 hours instead of just "GMT time" according to Win5.
Thank you for clarifying this, SubSpace. This 5 hour shift is exactly what I ran into. This is a much better response than being told what time it happened to be somewhere in the world.

It would be nice to get some notice of changes that affect users like this, rather than let people's website applications get screwed up with no explanation.

I'm trying to find out who changed the time in the first place and why ...
I really see no reason why anyone would set the clock ahead..

The clock wasn't 'ahead' as such at first glance, but the Timezone setting was wrong (it was set to GMT instead of EST), while the actual time was set to EST time.

How long it has been that way, if it was since Win5 came up or after that, I don't know. The automated process that caused me to notice was offline between the 17th of February and the 9th of March, so the 9th was actually the first time it got executed on Win5. At that time, the timezone setting was incorrect.

Back