WinCF - Restoration Progress Updates

Stephen

US Operations
Staff member
We are rebooting WinCF because PHP is hanging on a few domains and making server unstable, trying to restart IIS is not responding properly due to a large request queue.

Re: winCF reboot - PHP hanging on some domains

Taking longer than normal for windows startup, possibly something more at play here again. No errors, windows is loading up looks to be proper, just taking a long time. We will being to prep a new server in 15 minutes if such should be required. It will be a totally new config, in the past we have migrated to same config servers, this one will be a newer model like new servers.

it is still hanging on startup now, working to bring it up and on a new server at the same time.

rebooted it to safe mode, it is hanging on loading a driver, we are going all out to restore now. As said before this will be to the new hardware platform and away from the older Xeons, will post specs on it after completed.

We have the new server physically up and working to get it ready for file restores to be completed.

We have installs completed, there are a few remaining like image DLLs and CF addons, but we can add those as files are restoring which we are working on now.

Recreation of sites is going now, we are restoring files at the same time. We cannot move the restored files to being live until the accounts have been created however.

We are getting accounts up as we get files restored, we are working to try and restore DSNs if we can find info in tickets of old, but it is not a fast way as we have to search the site to get errors, so we do recommend as the main post before said to send a ticket with this info for most prompt restoration of DSN.

The restore is coming across the network from a compressed image so copying is a bit slower than I'd like optimally, but it is coming steady.

The restore is still moving along steady, but as said before file restore not going as fast as we'd hoped from the backup. Accounts are going live as they are restored.

I have Manish focused on file restores, while I am working on restoring DSNs that are showing errors in logs. This is the fastest way I've found to restore DSNs as there were quite a few not in use on the old server as well.

Need to do a quick reboot of the new server for some changes, then back to restoring files again.

Forgot to update, server is back and going fine, corrected the issue we were having with connecting to mssql7(reason for reboot).

Mass maill has been sent to all resellers and direct clients with info and link to here, and request to submit DSNs.

File restores are still going, accounts still come up as they are restored.
We have started a very highly multi threaded copy that does dozens of threads that helps move things along better for the accounts with many thousands of files. it is not exactly copying faster in total speed, but it is processing those files when it encounters much faster, making a more stable copy speed.

We have the majority of users up, I can't yet say the majority of files as there are a couple users that have multiple hundreds of thousands of files, or more. However the process is ongoing and many DSNs restored as well. We are watching error logs and restoring DSNs as we can manually without a ticket if we have the info somewhere in the past, or based on the response from the mass mailing.

If you have not been restored yet, we CAN jump the queue for you, it may depend still how long it will take due to the amount of files in your account however.

At this time we are processing more then 50 threads at a time for file restores. Any more than this is leading to a degradation of throughput from the backup archives so we have maxed it out for a file restore.

We found a number of people still using the old PHP path hard coded, so have restored that to help bring their PHP sites up, you may want to ask us for non version referencing (except PHP5 or PHP4) path and sample php.ini when you get time for preventing any issue like this in the future.

Some accounts are still restoring. Me and one other tech are working on DSN. If you send any DSN details, i request you to put DSN in subject. We will work on it as soon as possible.

We need to do a quick reboot on WinCF to clear out some caches that are taking place on some files.

It is all up and going again now, continuing restore of a couple very large accounts. that have so many files.

Back