Windows Scheduling

JMH

Guppy
I am used to Linux servers, and we are on a Windows server now.

I have a CGI script that is a multiple mail list, automatic subscribe unsubscribe, MYSQL database, and unlimited automatic followup autoresponder.

The CGI script works on Linux and requires NetPop and Cron Tasks.

2 Cron Tasks, 1 runs every 5 minutes to manage the subscriptions and unsubscribe request for the mailing list(s) and add/delete from the database, and send initial autoresponder out for new subscribers.

The 2nd one is set up to run at a specified frequency, say daily, at a specified time, say 12:00 a.m. for an unlimited autoresponder followup email series that our optin subscribers have signed up for.

I understand that Windows does not use Cron tasks, and I am not sure but assume that there is probably no such thing as NetPop either.

So my first question, how can you set up automated scheduled events on a Windows server???

Second, is there a logical change that can be made to my CGI script that runs under Linux that will allow it to work under Windows?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a good program that will run on Windows and that has good capabilities???

Would appreciate any information or suggestions or solutions.

Thanks.

Also I'm not sure why anyone need to use tasks to manage subscribtions. If you have someone to add/delete, then just go ahead and update your database instead of creating a task. In case of one-two subscribers, then what the difference? In case of many updates, well with tasks you'll just overload the server doing all them at once... But this is more implementation question....

About NetPop. What this prog do? I've found several on the net, so cannot tell you if a Windows equivalent exists :)

StPatrick said:
Also I'm not sure why anyone need to use tasks to manage subscribtions. If you have someone to add/delete, then just go ahead and update your database instead of creating a task. In case of one-two subscribers, then what the difference? In case of many updates, well with tasks you'll just overload the server doing all them at once... But this is more implementation question....

About NetPop. What this prog do? I've found several on the net, so cannot tell you if a Windows equivalent exists :)

Thanks for the info.

Will try and explain.

Net::pOP3 is a Perl module required by a CGI script within the program I have.

There is one script within the program that needs this module. This script handles the routines for new subscriptions and unsubscription requests, sending of immediate autoresponder message (setup within the program itself), checking email for any bounced mail from new subscriptions (there is a pop email account set up for use exclusively for this program). It connects to MySQL database (ability to have multiple mailing lists), and inserts records for new subscribers, and deletes records for unsubscribers and those subscribers who's mail bounces (i.e. bogus email address provided).

The above script is the one that requires a Cron task to execute every 5 minutes.

The other related routine is the setting of the sequential autoresponder messages (set up within the program) that you need a Cron task to run at the frequency you prefer, i.e. Every day or week at 12:00 a.m.

Anyway, the entire program is a multi function program written by someone other than myself, and as such it is hard for me to comment on the efficiency of the implementation approach.

All I know is that it does what I need it to do on Linux anyway.

As to the Net::pop3 module, I should revise my comment, to a question. Is the Net::pop3 Perl module installed (to be found) on Windows servers????

I will go to your previous posting on discussion on the Scheduler, and
continue there.

Thanks again for your posting.

Regards, JMH

StPatrick said:
Well, Cron Tasks sure has a "parallel" in Windows - Scheduler :) I'm not sure though JodoHost allows using it. For example UBB Message board suggests to use it, here is their manual:
http://www.ubbcentral.com/resources/Advanced_Cron.html
Of course, this will work only when you have an access to the server itself.

Thanks, I have gone to the ubb site and read through the info on the Advanced_Cron.

Am I missing the boat somewhere? The Scheduler is something I would have to set up on my local computer and I would have to leave my computer on to technically communicate with the Windows Server to run the tasks???

Is there not something else (forgive my ignorance I am not familiar with Windows servers) say like a JScript that could be set up on the server to replace/handle what Cron jobs perform on Unix/Linux servers???

I am not sure if JodoHost allows the use of the Scheduler either. I will ask them to post an answer to this question.

Back to my research ............

Bye for now. JMH

Yash said:
the Net :: POP3 module is installed on our windows servers

Yash, thanks for checking.

So that just leaves the question on how to schedule tasks on the Windows server at JodoHost????

Still searching on my end.

Bye for now,
JMH

Back