windows vps?

Buy now links should be available in 24 hours. Feel free to ask questions though :)
We are doing our last several hours of testing.

Hey, quit taking peeks :D

Actually a few things on that page not right, trying to polish up before it goes live, so don't take that as official plans until it is announced.

I see it was put on the front page, but it is not quite ready for signup yet.

I will announce it when it is ready to buy.

What about Linux VPS?

Linux VPS was supposed to be changed to Virtuozzo a long time ago.

Is it more expensive than the Windows version?

Just curious why Virtuozzo VPS can be put on a Windows Box and Not a Linux Box.

The biggest reason is that freevps is very stable with no issues now. The only thing that happens is that sometimes during setup the gateway IP is wrong....

Virtuozzo VPS for Linux is on the cards. But we decided to go for Windows first as we have a larger demand for it right now

It can not be integrated into hsphere at all, but we are working on some ideas for it.

in other hand, are you goin to implementing plesk platform for control panel for resellers in fron of hsphere or this is only for VPS?

Resellers will be able to resell Windows VPS in 2 months, when we upgrade to HSphere 2.5

Plesk is a control panel solution for your VPS accounts so you can manage your domains and host clients. Plesk is included for free in all plans, but we'd be installing it on request

Hi, I'm not really knolwedable in this VPS thing. Got a few question

1. Does that mean we can install our own CVS server on it?

2. If I have a custom .net componets which requires com dll registration, can i do that? (from the description it looks like i can, just want to make sure.

3. What about windows scheduler? can I set up a scheduler service and go hit something on my website?

4. when you talk about full trust, that includes both .net 1.1 and 2.0 correct?

5. What is that jsp/tomcat plugin? does that mean I can enable it and have it run my java code?

6. In teh reseller hosting account, we have mcirosft office web componet, this is no longer avaiable under vps hosting right? how can i get that? we have asp.net apps that depends on the web componets.

7. Last but not least, I have a reseller account and if I choose VPS, the database requirmeent is simply not enough. I would like to keep my reseller hosting just for the unlimited database opiton. Is there a more economic way? do you have a sql server only hosting that is a bit cheaper so I can use both?

8. oh one last thing, all of us here favorites VNC over windows remote desktop, is it possible to install our open source vnc software on it?

very excited.

Liming

liming said:
8. oh one last thing, all of us here favorites VNC over windows remote desktop
Why? I'm just curious. I've used both and Remote Desktop seems to perform much better. Remote Desktop obviously knows about the internals of Windows and sends high level Windowing commands. VNC is very clever and generic but at the end of the day I think it is primarily just copying pixels.

[Removed my obviously wrong comments about OWC. You don't need Office on the server.]

Cheers
Ross

tetranz said:
Why? I'm just curious. I've used both and Remote Desktop seems to perform much better. Remote Desktop obviously knows about the internals of Windows and sends high level Windowing commands. VNC is very clever and generic but at the end of the day I think it is primarily just copying pixels.

As for your other questions, I don't want to assume Yash's answer but I think the VPS is basically yours to do what you want with as if its a dedicated server and you have admin access. You get basic internet services but anything else is up to you. I think the Office components require MS Office to be installed which means that you would need to buy and install Office on your VPS.

Cheers
Ross

Hey Ross,

Thanks for the info. Looks like the vps hosting is gonne be sweeeet.

I should've been more clear. I use ultraVnc here.
The issue is this, with remote desktop, it treats every remote login as a separate user login. We want to show the clients what we are doing and vice versa. With ultraVnc, we can demo an application and they see exactly what we are doing. What's more is that it logs out the exisiting user (or am I doing it wrong?)

Secondly, ultravnc has this super small .exe for clients to use which can be used to tunnel through other machines. Very useful when you want to delievery it to clients without any installation.

Lastly, ultravnc handles multiple monitors, which the remote desktop can't do. Soemthing very useful. I have 4 monitors here.
Not that it matters in this vps hosting..

First will address the VNC question, no it won't work, it is one of te few apps that won't, it will take you to the console server login which you won't have access to login with. Terminal services must be used.

Also Windows XP has Remote Desktop client built in, and shadowing is available as we allow for two connections to the terminal at a time. If you wisht to know how to shadow I can gladly show you.

Also Remote Desktop is encrypted by default and more secure than ultraVNC.

1. Does that mean we can install our own CVS server on it?

Yes

2. If I have a custom .net components which requires com dll registration, can i do that? (from the description it looks like i can, just want to make sure.

Yes, you can do so with no issues.

3. What about windows scheduler? can I set up a scheduler service and go hit something on my website?

Yes.
4. when you talk about full trust, that includes both .net 1.1 and 2.0 correct?

Correct, you can make you own web.config and trust.config, or just run in default full trust.
5. What is that jsp/tomcat plugin? does that mean I can enable it and have it run my java code?

With Silver and up, JSP is supported with the plesk power pack.

6. In the reseller hosting account, we have microsoft office web component, this is no longer available under vps hosting right? how can i get that? we have asp.net apps that depends on the web components.

You can download from MS, it is a free install, I believe we install two version owc10.exe and owc11.exe, I can install them if you get a VPs and want them, its no issue at all.

7. Last but not least, I have a reseller account and if I choose VPS, the database requirement is simply not enough. I would like to keep my reseller hosting just for the unlimited database option. Is there a more economic way? do you have a sql server only hosting that is a bit cheaper so I can use both?

Plesk installs MySQL and you also have MSDE installed on the VPS, you can use them up to the RAM and HD limit on the VPS and have to not even touch the shared DB space, the shared DB space is just an added bonus, it makes the offering distinct from many other providers in that it is EXTRA not counted in your VPS space.
You can also install SQL 2005 Express, or if you have a license or wish to pay extra for the SPLA fees, we can install full SQL 2000/2005 as well, inside the VPS.

8. oh one last thing, all of us here favorites VNC over windows remote desktop, is it possible to install our open source vnc software on it?

Replied before.

serverzb said:
is VPS fully managed?
It is not 100% managed, but we will assist with installs and setup. We will also help with general issues but we will not do every required task for you, most can be done with Plesk if you choose to have it installed.

If you choose to forgo plesk and save a little RAM for other operations we will assist in installation of IIS and other windows components manually, but not setup each site needing to be hosted. We offer with and without plesk for freedom to developers or experienced admins but do expect most to want plesk.

Plesk uses about 400MB of disk space to install on the server, and 120-150MB of RAM for its operation.

Back