WinVPS Value sufficient?

skypanther

Exalted Code Master!
I guess I'm out of my element here...I've done nothing with VPS and now I need some help.

I have a client that needs MySQL 4.1.2, which isn't available on the core Jodo servers. So, I guess my choice is offering a VPS plan or telling him to go elsewhere. He also needs ColdFusion.

Is the WinVPS Value plan sufficient to run IIS, PHP, ColdFusion MX 6.x, MySQL 4.1.2, and a mail server (he sends out quite a few e-newsletters every month)? I'm thinking the memory limit is going to be the determining factor.

I don't see a reseller plan for the VPS packages. So, I'm also wondering if this plan might be more than he would need so that I could resell a couple of more domains in that space to recover some of my costs (if I didn't mark up or actually discounted that hosting price to him)?

Thanks,
Tim

eh without plesk it would be CLOSE if using tight cf jrun limits, MS SMTP and 100% manually configured. the main limit here would be RAM.

Thanks Stephen. Your answer was much more informative than what I got from the sales folks. Since my client is a non-profit (read, very low budget), I doubt he'll even go for the Value plan so talking him into a higher plan with breathable room is probably out of the question.

Thanks,
Tim

FWIW, I'm serving a small group of non-profits with a VPS plan that's running CF (MX7), mail (Smartermail 4) and a bunch of SQL heavy joomla sites. The value VPS plan (windows) under PLESK will definitely be a stretch. Even with Stephen's very generous assistance in making it work, CF was just such a memory hog -- as is PLESK -- that I was better off moving to VPS Gold in order to sleep soundly at night.

But unless your non-profit is really high-volume you should be able to make use of the same box for some additional domains, which would make it worth your while -- and if they're really such high volume *and* running something as demanding as CF they really should be willing/able to pay for it -- presumably their site constitutes an important part of their PR/communication strategy?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I've passed on some pricing info to them, but their director is out of town for a week or so, so no decisions for now. Their CF site is doing okay in the shared server pool. What's getting them is their need to improve their email communications and contact management. They are considering the SugarCRM package, but it requires a newer version of MySQL than JodoHost (HSphere really) supports.

This group has registered over a dozen domain names. What I suggested is that they host one of their other domains on a VPS plan and run SugarCRM there. That way, they don't need ColdFusion.

Without CF, I figure I can host their stuff and a couple of other domains in a Value plan without the sleepless nights you describe (I have enough of those already!).

Thanks!
Tim

Back