WinVPS4 power panel not working, reboot for emergency maintenance - Completed Early

Stephen

US Operations
Staff member
We will have to reboot WinVPS4 for some emergency maintenance at 11:30PM tonight.

There is no issue with any hardware or users VPSes however the platform VPS that is used for management is having an error that will require a hardware node reboot to fix.

This should take less than 10 minutes at 11:30PM EST tonight.

We apologize for the short notice, but require this in order to allow you to utilize the power panel that is available to control your server, as it is not working at this time.

Re: WinVPS4 power panel not working, reboot for emergency maintenance at 11:30PM EST

To share with you the cause for this that I have found, the page file is not auto expanding as large as it needs. There is still over 5GB of physical RAM but it is trying to move some to the virtual page file ram, and it is getting full. A reboot is required to fix this and set it to a very large low limit so it will not happen again.

Re: WinVPS4 power panel not working, reboot for emergency maintenance at 11:30PM EST

I have a temporary fix applied on this, and power panel is working but the reboot will continue as planned.

There were 2 VPSes having been hacked that were running apps that caused this to happen, those VPSes have been cleaned and will be further cleaned after the reboot tonight, and the owners will be notified and given some suggestions to secure.

It looks like we are going to have to reboot more urgently because clients VPSes have started serving up blank ASP pages and it seems unresolveable with VPs restarts and IIS restarts, so I am rebooting now, or in the next 5 minutes. Without this I think there may be continued errors.

Taking longer than I expected, it is doing one Windows Update before reboot is happening.

It has rebooted and coming up now. We are very sorry for this issue and it should be resolved with this reboot there is over 20GB of virtual memory now, as well was 8GB of Physical RAM(5 of which was free even at reboot)

All but one VPS is out of starting state now(and it is coming up just not compelted), and the ASP pages are loading properly now.

All up now, the reboot at 11:30PM WILL NOT happen now.

Back