3rd level domain alias

SubSpace

Bass
Trying to set this up has caused me some problems in the past. Apparently H-Sphere doesn't like it if I set a domain alias on the 3rd level domain I'm hosting, without creating a new DNS zone, and then adding some manual entries (trying to create the zone will say it's taken).

So now what I've done for this customer is create a whole new 3rd level domain and I created a symlink to the original domain. This seems to work without confusing H-Sphere..

However, making the symlink was rather cumbersome. So I was wondering if you mind me making symlinks for the purpose of having a 3rd level domain alias without confusing H-Sphere and it's DNS servers. It wasn't made easy in any case.

PS: Is webshell3 broken for anyone else atm?

Don't understand your question. If you don't create a DNS zone, how can you add manual DNS entries?

Read my announcement on top. WebShell3 is broken for customers who updated IE. You should make this announcement to your customers as well

Yes I noticed elsewhere... IE no longer seems to support the http://username:password@domain notation.
Have done appropriate whining to Microsoft ;)

I added the DNS entry using the E Manager because since it was a 3rd level domain, I already have a DNS zone for the appropriate second level domain. When you create a third level domain H-Sphere adds the appropriate DNS entries to the domain, but it can't seem to do it for a third-level domain alias.

I'm not sure how else to explain it...

SubSpace said:
Yes I noticed elsewhere... IE no longer seems to support the http://username:password@domain notation.
Have done appropriate whining to Microsoft ;)

I added the DNS entry using the E Manager because since it was a 3rd level domain, I already have a DNS zone for the appropriate second level domain. When you create a third level domain H-Sphere adds the appropriate DNS entries to the domain, but it can't seem to do it for a third-level domain alias.

I'm not sure how else to explain it...

Sorry, I'm lost
You have a 3rd level domain and want to add a Top level domain as an alias to that? Just make sure you enable "create DNS zone" and it will create one. I personally have used this features many times. How do you know it is not creating a DNS zone. DNS zones for domains are not shown in emanager.

No, I had a third level domain and wanted to make a 3rd level domain alias:

customer.mydomain.com
customeralias.mydomain.com

When you try to make the domain alias, it will say it can't be created because it already exists. So I used to add the alias without creating the DNS zone and then add manual entries to mydomain.com. However this seemed to mess up the DNS thing, I was getting inconsistent resolving results from my NS1 and NS2.

So I added the customeralias.mydomain.com as a seperate hosted 3rd level domain, which seems to work fine DNS-wise, and then made a symlink from /hsphere/local/home/customer/customeralias.mydomain.com to /hsphere/local/home/customer/customer.mydomain.com so they are in effect the same website.

What I was wondering about is:
  • Is this likely to cause problems in H-Sphere, DNS wise or file structure wise.
  • Will this mess up disk quota measurements? Will the files on the website be counted twice?
  • Am I allowed to create such symlinks?
  • Is there an easier way than using a PHP script to create them?

You get that error because you simply cannot add a sub domain or 3rd level domain as an alias. This is something you should post as a feature request and psoft's forum (hsphere.com)

Adding it without a dns zone can indeed screw up a few things because this simply isn't supported. I'll have to contact PSOFT about this.

What you are doing is fine and you shouldn't encounter those problems

Back