Abuse?

I just got the following email from "Kawal" from Jodohost:

"Domain "beyondtheblueshirts.com" hosted in your account was abusing server by opening lot of PHP processes and making server slow and taking it to not responding condition. So we have removed PHP extension from this domain. Please fix code and upload fixed code. Then you can open support ticket to enable PHP again for this domain.

Note: Don't reply to this mail, you can open support ticket after fixing code."

That site is a blog, and is currently getting a lot of traffic due to a post I made that's drawn a lot of interest. The only code running on that domain is Wordpress. Are you telling me one of the most popular blogging platforms in the world is contains code that results in "abuse"?

It would appear that your solution, when one of your hosted sites receives an increase in traffic, is to simply shut it down. Is that the case?

I especially appreciate the "don't bother contacting us, just fix it" at the end. That's some great customer service you offer.

no where does it say don't bother contacting us, it is sent from a techs personal address and if you reply it won't get answered! Send a ticket to get a reply that is what it is saying.

Now yes, wordpress can be very abusive if it is getting a lot of traffic, when it is taking the entire server resources to serve the page IT IS ABUSE. You can make the content for that page static, you can do a number of things to mitigate the resource utilization.

you can make a simple hello world php script and if it is getting enough hits and can be abusive.

"Don't reply to this mail, you can open support ticket after fixing code."

Forgive me for not interpreting this as an offer of assistance in resolving the problem.

According to Google Analytics, my site has received 429 pageviews so far today, which is about twice as much as it gets by this time on an average day. Are you honestly telling me that that's too much traffic for your shared environment? If that's the case, why was I never cited for abuse back in October where there were a few days that I received between 4000-6000 pageviews per day?

I was told by support to move the site to your winvps or semi dedicated hosting package. There is no way I'm spending $69-149 a month for semi-dedicated hosting for a personal blog that averages 200 visitors (and less than 300 pageviews) a day.

I have made some changes in WordPress to reduce the overhead on your server. Weekends are typically slow in terms of traffic, anyway. I will do my best to have the site moved to new host by the end of the weekend.

you can also consider linux, it handles php differently, cgi can have a higher overhead.

Feel free to do as you please, but when a site is using server resources and taking away from others we have to take action against it to prevent from down alerts on other sites.

I'm a reseller and find that customers are willing to pay for me to set up a wordpress site and I just need to know if you will shut me down for to much traffic to thier sites.

I don't think it'll be right for me to continue selling this service if later on you'll tell me that I'm causing a problem. I've only move a handfull of my customers here but if it'll cause a problem down the road let me know now please.

We always advise our resellers to use MAX limit for resources, when making plan for e-commerce and heavy traffic website, that will prevent excess usage.

Moreover, Hsphere has been setup to inform you about "Warning (Approaching resource limit)" email notification. That not only keep you update about your end user usage also you can keep an eye on their usage to prevent any such solution.

JodoHost resellers are in-depend hosts, and they are paying us for only their hosting package fee and extra usage their account is having in 30 days average, So this is expected from them to monitor and handle their end users upto their interest.

Back