AOL Forwarding and Anti-Spam

hatton

Perch
I just got notification from a client of mine that they were told their email account was out of bounds of the hosting TOS ?( . I then read Yash's post about AOL at:
http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=3710

Now, I would not have a problem with this except for the fact that I have been in a constant battle with email support over the past few weeks regarding the Anti-Spam settings on a couple of the accounts I have.

I logged into my client's CP and checked out his mailbox and did find quite a few spam messages in the box. All of which are missing an Anti-Spam line in their headers. In my primary mailbox all my messages have two lines that look something like this:
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.64 (2004-01-11) on mail.m****here.biz
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.0 required=5.0 tests=none autolearn=no version=2.64

However NONE of the emails on the domain in question have been marked with those header lines even though they are marked as having "anti-spam" in the mail server. This now makes two accounts that are experiencing this issue.

I last reported this on ticket number 48312 where I complained that anti-spam measures were being disabled and the reply I got was:
[Jan 26, 2005 2:01:35 PM]
A: Hello,

We are investigating the issue btw Kindly let us know if you have made any changes in AntiSpam prefrences recently. We will update you soon about this soon.

Thanks and Regards
Deepak

So now the lack of anti-spam on one of your mail servers is causing issues with email forwards being provided to other systems. Nice. Looks like someone needs to get a call into Spam-Assassin ASAP to figure out what barfed where X( .

*Very* not good.
Hatton

actually there is a bug in hsphere that disables it sometimes, if you made changes recently, we need to know so that it can be reenabled. But the AOL issue has gone on much long than the anti-spam not working.

Stephen said:
actually there is a bug in hsphere that disables it sometimes, if you made changes recently, we need to know so that it can be reenabled. But the AOL issue has gone on much long than the anti-spam not working.
That's just it - no changes have been made by me (and I'm the only one that makes changes to the system) since this whole issue started.

As a matter of fact H-Sphere shows anti-spam to be enabled on all of the accounts that are there.

Hatton

hatton said:
I just got notification from a client of mine that they were told their email account was out of bounds of the hosting TOS ?( . I then read Yash's post about AOL at:
http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=3710

I didn't quite understand it. Our support team told an end-user of your's that they can't forward to AOL? Our support team cannot communicate with end-users

Is your customer complaining about not being able to forward to AOL?

Yash said:
I didn't quite understand it. Our support team told an end-user of your's that they can't forward to AOL? Our support team cannot communicate with end-users

Is your customer complaining about not being able to forward to AOL?
Exactly. I have a client that has [email protected] forwarding to [email protected], just as you described in your earlier post. I got two emails from him today, contents of the second one to follow:

Subject:
RE: Subject: UCE complaint: 63.209.158.6: 689603 : Client TOS Notification
"JodoHost - Abuse Dept" <[email protected]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:06:07 +0530
To:
<[email protected]>
CC:
<[email protected]>

Hi,

As a corrective measure we have stopped mail forwarding of this domain
i.e. edit to edit. Please inform your
customer either he should allow all emails coming on this AOL address as
acceptable or do not forward.

Thank you
JodoHost - Abuse Dept.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 5:04 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Cc: '[email protected]'
Subject: Subject: UCE complaint: 63.209.158.6: 689603 : Client TOS
Notification
Importance: High

Hi,

Your customer, user name: edit(domain: edit), is abusing
mail server. We have received 3 complaints so far. Please contact him
immediately and ask to stop this.

Thank you
JodoHost - Abuse Dept.

Luckilly he knows I'm a reseller.

However, that does not solve the issue at hand. His email account is accepting spam messages even though anti-spam is turned on in HSphere. In addition, it is forwarding those spam messages to his AOL account where he is doing as he should and reporting them as spam. AOL is incorrectly analyzing the headers and pointing the blame back at JodoHost's servers... I understand all of this.

The problem is twofold - AOL misreading the headers and the mail server not running the spam filters against my client's mail account.

Hatton

Edited by Stephen to remove email address of customer, no need for it to get google spidered and spammed more.

hatton said:
Luckilly he knows I'm a reseller.

Hi...

I think JodoHost must do something to avoid this thing happen again.

Jodohost should send reminder email to reseller...not to our customer.. ?(

Thanks..

Hi Hatton

Is your customer reporting it as SPAM? I can now understand what is happening. AOL tells us customers are complaining of SPAM and hence they are complaining about us..

Please submit another ticket about the spam checking issue, I'll see it

As for contacting this customer, there has been a huge mistake here. Let me appologize for it, I am looking into this now!

What has happened is that this particular email was intended to go out to you but the person who sent it, sent it out (by mistake) to the end-user

We are taking this very seriously, I am putting in new guidelines to ensure such a think doesn't happen again.

We are normally very particular about such things but our haste in dealing with these spam complaints has led to this mistake, I'm sorry

Yash said:
OK, this is an HSphere bug. Just talked to Tanmaya. Please change your spam filter from Very Aggressive to Aggressive

Very aggressive and Remove doesn't work
More information here: http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?p=21502#post21502
If this is the case then the system default does not work as well as I have not changed the anti-spam settings myself. They are still sitting at "Anti-Spam Default System Level" for the domain and the email address mentioned.

For the other email address mentioned in the old ticket the level had been changed by JH admin in an attempt to change things. I will change the system level and see what happens.

Hatton

Back