ASp.net applications

yorri

Perch
How do I set up web application points (not sure if that is the proper name) for asp.net?

When I was at webhost4life I could create multiple web applications in their control panel that pointed to subdirectories. Is this possible using Hsphere?

Yash said:
I'm gonna have to check this out for you...

I'm just not sure if this is an asp.net specific thing or just a subweb. I just logged into one of my clients websites at webhost4life and they have it under a heading of asp.net but for some reason I am thinking it is just a iis web application.

The asp.net application I want to use tells me to do this.

2) Create a web application pointing to your directory

Otherwise they say if you cannot create the application...I have to run it from the root.....I don't really like that idea. Very messy.

Any help would be great Yash.

Oh...the joys of upgrading to newer technologies :)

Yash said:
sorry yorri, HSphere has no such functionality. I'll have that on feature request as well...

Thanks for looking into this for me.

I guess this means that I will only be able to run one asp.net application per domain? I assume each domain is configured as a separate web application no?

If this is true...would it be possible to submit a ticket to have an administrator add a web application to a folder within my domain so I can run multiple asp.net applications. Otherwise, having to run everything from the root is going to get very frustrating to manage and annoying. Unless there is another way to do this??

Hsphere's limitations are really starting to make me appreciate webhost4life's control panel more all the time.

Not sure if this helps, but...
It depends on what functionality you want. You can create a directory with different settings than the application itself, by placing Web.config file in it and adding features/settings you like. Of course, this is not a "proper" web applications, also some parameters can be configured only in root folder (like authentication for instance), but you can use it to make different access rights (as an example) if this is what you want.

[Edited]
Also you can use different ASP.NET applications in same web application. Just remember to place all DLL files into BIN folder under root (not subdirs)

StPatrick said:
Not sure if this helps, but...
It depends on what functionality you want. You can create a directory with different settings than the application itself, by placing Web.config file in it and adding features/settings you like. Of course, this is not a "proper" web applications, also some parameters can be configured only in root folder (like authentication for instance), but you can use it to make different access rights (as an example) if this is what you want.

[Edited]
Also you can use different ASP.NET applications in same web application. Just remember to place all DLL files into BIN folder under root (not subdirs)

Thanks St. Patrick,

The problem is that the apps I've looked at are programmed to work with a directory that is set to be a web application. It is possible to modify the code but the whole reason I am doing this is to save time and not have to develop it myself. I was hoping to just use existing apps and add/modify them as I need because I don't really have the time to start from scratch right now.

I will have to see how much work it is to make this work from the root dir and go from there. I am still learning .net so everything still seems a bit weird right now.

I will try putting everything into the bin dir in the root and see if that is enough to get this working.

Thanks for your help.

Back