ASP / .NET for Apache?

hatton

Perch
This may not be the right place for this post but I figure it's a good start. As I mentioned in another post, I'm running Apache 2 on my local development box. It's nice and stable and doesn't dig into my system resorces when I want to do something other than work.

However, that leaves me out of the loop to teach myself things like ASP and .NET. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my existing environment (in other words, not replacing Apache) to support at least some level of ASP and .NET?

Thanks!

The only real option that you have got is ChilliAsp - However that is not complete and complicated things may not run.

ASP.NET cannot currently be run on Apache (I presume you are running it in a linux environment) but it can be run on windows (not certain if there's an apache plugin of some sort but I know it has an open Webhosting Api).

I imagine you will be able to run ASP.NET on linux when the linux .NET CLR is released (Still in development by MS), but I think there a port over, not sure if it is complete etc. though

Hope that helps, Mart.

Mart said:
ASP.NET cannot currently be run on Apache (I presume you are running it in a linux environment) but it can be run on windows (not certain if there's an apache plugin of some sort but I know it has an open Webhosting Api).
Actually I'm running Apache 2 on my Windows XP Home box.

the mono project is doing a great job bringing asp.net and c# to unix, however I don't think it has a windows build.

I believe it is possible to run both IIS and Apache on the same box if you use different ports.. not sure though

Well he is running XP HOME so IIS isn't a real option - it is possible but I would not recommend it

Yash said:
I'd hate to see that! :(

Y the religious slam? You get the best of both worlds. The far superior .Net Dev environment, the far more robust/efficient server side code and YOU DON"T HAVE TO PAY $$$$ for Win03.

Forget the joke of Win03 Web Server Edition, my USB stick has more memory :(

The real way to do .Net on Apache is just do .Net with a Win03 mule running IIS6 for testing. Once you're finished dev, maybe they will have a stable Linix/CLR to move on for testing.

Pick up a 500+ MHz box out of the trash, throw on 1/2 GB RAM and you have a good test mule. Oh, you still need to shell out the big bucks for Win03 :(

Windows is cheaper than linux when you are a webhost using proper channels for MS products, and using commercially supported linux.

Edit: This is a very old thread. Please keep it on topic if there are further replies.

Stephen said:
Windows is cheaper than linux when you are a webhost using proper channels for MS products, and using commercially supported linux.

I don't understand that statement.
R U saying with TCO windows is cheaper than linux? probably true. But I'm using goDaddy.com and it's < $4/month to host on linix - LESS than half what they charge me to move to Win2K - not even Win2K03

One reason that prices are more on windows is that overall the TCO per machine might be less, but places cram 2-3x more sites on a linux machine.
We only charge slightly more for windows hosting :)

And if you go the reseller route it is all neatly bundled together at one price.

Stephen said:
but places cram 2-3x more sites on a linux machine.

Really - never heard that. I know you can't set up multiple SSL sites on IIS6, at least it's a real pain. I think IIS is geared at one to 3 sites - I didn't know linux was after the cram market. I'm sure goDaddy puts hundreds of the low end linix sites on each box.
Stephen said:
And if you go the reseller route it is all neatly bundled together at one price.
I'll look into your sites - I would much rather be on an evil OS I know well :)

Back