asp.net....

yorri

Perch
Anyone here using any of the source applications from asp.net on Jodohost like asp forums?

I see that all of them require installing them locally first which I have done and it works but I have no idea how to get this on my website at Jodohost since I can't use the install programs.

I am sure there would be more work than just copying the files up to my website....like modifying files or something.

I am kinda new to asp.net...just created my first page today and testing it on Jodohost and it worked fine...which I am happy about.

But wouldn't mind using the forums software or the dotnetnuke implementations but have no idea how to start(beyond just moving the files).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks..

Well, I'm using the Microsoft's AspNetForums (donNetNuke is a modification of it). So actually here what I did to get them running on my site (I'll leave changes I made for some particular cases):

After you'll install the forums on your computer, you should of course compile them (I suppose you do already). The start copying all files with .aspx and ascx extension. Then edit "Web.config" file and change your connection string and other things (like path, forums name for example). Now remember to create all tables for your forums (you should have all SQL scripts in the installation directory). This you should do carefully and test first on your own development database. You may have the same tables/stored procedures already in your database. So simple running the script will delete them and recreate and you can lose your information. The other thing - if the code for creating a database exist in the first script, you should remove it (also remove the "use AspForums" at the top of each script file, or change it to your database name). There are also some more things in SQL scripts that I have removed - all COLLATE clauses and all "[dbo].". You can use Search and Replace to do it.
And again, remember to test the scripts on your development database (use Backup and Restore to get the DB quickly to previous state).

If you'll have any questions, feel free to ask, since I already went through this :)

Back