awstats log delete

I have a client's account where the awtstats log file has grown to over 110 MB. I seem to recall this happening, though rarely, for other accounts of mine in the past (maybe one or two). I had thought I had been able to just delete these, and still have awstats function just fine, but couldn't remember for sure.

I sent in a TT to ask and was told you can't delete this file or awstats will not function properly. But I was still curious and searched the forums and found a couple places where it seemed the advice given was that the file could be deleted, and actually served no purpose at all. Still, I want to make sure it's the correct file, and that deleting it won't cause any harm.

The two posts I found were...
http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=3656&highlight=awstats+log
... and ...
http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=2421&highlight=awstats+log

I'm just looking for confirmation on whether the log file located at /domain/awtstats/awstats.log can or cannot actually be deleted without affecting the stats.

Also, does anyone know what causes this, and whether there is any way to prevent the log file from growing so large (other than turning off awstats)?

actually, there is an awstats log that was at one time growing to over 600+mb that was awstats_archive.log and it is the one that could safely be removed.

To my understnading the awstats.log basically is a daily log and each night it starts over, so if it is that large it means the site is busy :D

But this site only has had 37 visits in June, and only 40 in July (according to webalizer). Total KB transfer is only in the 600,000 range per month.

Also, I just noticed I can't log into awstats for them - the account's user/pass won't let me in.

Could something be corrupt with their install of awstats?

... a little update....

I asked the client if he'd changed his pass and he had. I can now log into their awstats, but it just returns an error that the page cannot be displayed.

Should I submit a new ticket for this?

looks like you may need to turn awstats off and then back on, that will setup any needed files again.

I don't remember awstats.log growing incrementally such as this but will have to check it.

Back