Big problems.

We've been having several problems with WIN1.

The latest problem is that we've got this error several times on different ASP pages:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

It happens randomly on different pages. Is that a problem with the MSSQL server or with WIN1? I work on other sites on WIN4 and that never happened on those. Also WIN1 has been down several times and gets real slow at times.

My client sent a request about a week ago to have the sites moved to WIN4 and was told that it will be done within 24 hours, still nothing has been done! We sent an email a few days ago and where told again that it'll be done in 24 hours and still nothing.

I need to know what the heck is going on, why this haven't been done and why we keep getting this error??

I'm using the IP address and OLE DB Provider to connect to the server, this is the connectionstring:

Provider=SQLOLEDB;Server=66.36.228.118;User ID=biginfo_webuser;Password=<mypassword>;Database=biginfo_biginfosource;

The account is biginfo.

TRodriguez.

I don't normally use OLEDB, but from what I've seen "Server" should be "Data Source" and "Database" should be "Initial Catalog". Maybe these parameters are aliased though, couldn't find anything clear about that.

SubSpace said:
I don't normally use OLEDB, but from what I've seen "Server" should be "Data Source" and "Database" should be "Initial Catalog". Maybe these parameters are aliased though, couldn't find anything clear about that.

They're aliased, I can change it but it won't make a difference. The problem is not the connectionstring, I use that connectionstring with several applications without problems. OLEDB should be the fastest way to connect too. The problem is in the server that can be reached at times, I've only seen this happen from WIN1 and I work on other accounts on WIN4. I don't know if it's a problem with the SQL server and we've just had good luck with other accounts, or if it's a problem with WIN1 but there's definitevely something wrong as this should happen.

It doesn't happen all the time, and it happens on different pages. We had a page that inserts several hundred records and it works fine most of the times but sometimes it breakes with an error half way thru. It also happens with pages that only have a few queries and the site is not even live yet.

<edit> It seems like JodoHost has gone haywire lately, jodohost.com and the control panels went down today and yesterday, unix1 and the forums where down the yesterday, win4 went down for a few minutes, and there ain't getting much response from support. It looks pretty bad I must say :(

TRodriguez said:
<edit> It seems like JodoHost has gone haywire lately, jodohost.com and the control panels went down today and yesterday, unix1 and the forums where down the yesterday, win4 went down for a few minutes, and there ain't getting much response from support. It looks pretty bad I must say :(

All of these issues are related to DNS. We are working overtime to deploy new servers and get this issue permanently fixed

Yash said:

I'm glad you're working on it and hope it's fixed soon. We would the account switched to WIN4 or whatever server is more reliable. We had several problems with WIN1 over the last couple weeks and other sites on WIN4 where just fine so at least it'll make my client feel better even if the problems have been fixed.

I'm concerned about the issue with the SQL server as it can't be a DNS issue since we're using the IP to connect. It happens very seldom but it shouldn't happen at all. One way to replicate it would be to insert thousands of records consecutively with a script it will break after a few thousands with that error, we're just inserting records with a connection that's already open so either there's a routing problem or the SQL server stops responding at times, it might only be a second but it's a problem because the page breaks with an error. It don't only happen when inserting a bunch of records, it might happen on a page that only has one update but very seldmom. I know you got a bunch of problems right now but this is also something to look at, we can't just cross our fingers and hope it won't happen.

Another minor thing is that we use:

Server.ScriptTimeout = 60 * 60

On ASP to override the server timeout for large uploads, this should set the timeout to 1 hour but it still times out after a few minutes. Any ideas?

Thanks,
TRodriguez

I am also getting the [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied error now that I've moved to the new server this past weekend. I hope the problem is resolved fairly soon. I also have noticed sluggish performance at times. Sometimes it takes up to 10 seconds for a page to load, when it normally is less than 2 or 3 seconds.

Send in a ticket requesting your account to be moved to Win4
I think that will be best for both of you (since you say there are no issues on Win4). In the meantime we are looking into the Win1 issue

Back