Can you explain SQL database size and quota

Dave

Perch
Could you please explain these numbers? I'm not sure if I'm just about out of room or have lots of room left:

Database/Transaction Log file quota ratio 50 %
Used database file 4 MB out of 5 MB
Used transaction log file 1 MB out of 5 MB
Used total 5 MB out of 10 MB

Is my database 5 MB or 10 MB? Am I just about out of database space? What is a reasonable amount of space I should have free? It looks like in HSphere I can only change the size of the Quota size in MBs and not the database. Where do I change the database size. Is 50% a good quota ratio?

Thanks!

What this means is you have created a database with a quota of 10MB where 5MB is reserved for log files and the other 5MB for your data. You are using 4 out of 5MB so you are almost out of space.

You can easily change your quota by clicking the Edit/Change button next to your database name. This space comes from your total package Disk Space so you won't be charged unless your combined usage goes over the amount alloted to you.

I personally would keep the transaction log ratio at 10%. You can change this ratio by clicking edit/change as well.

Just wanted to post the same :)
But I have another problem - my database size is 20 Mb, where 10 Mb is ALREADY used by transaction log. So it doesn't give me a chance to change its ratio (tried already). Not sure how to solve this problem..

Hmm.. while writing just have a small idea - maybe I should change the database size to somewhat bigger, then change the ratio and set the DB size back to 20Mb. What you think?

What's your database name and what server are you on? I'll see if we can have the logs cleared. Have this info sent across through a ticket.

Database name is "StpWorksMain" on MSSQL2. Cannot open a ticket right now - cannot access HSPHERE from work place because of firewall. If you want I'll do it in 2-3 hours when I'll get home. Anyway, no rush, still my database is not full :)

I'm having the same problem. Can't change the size of the quota. I'll send a ticket. Couldn't get into HSphere yesterday, or earlier today either.

Yesterday I posted that my database was 4 MB out of 5 MB. Today my stats say I'm using 5 MB out of 5 MB. That seems like a big change in one day. Do SQL Server databases need to be compacted like MS Access databases do?

Saw this old post and it answered almost all of my questions, however, I still have one question.

What is a transaction log? Why should I keep it at 10%?

Thanks,

Adam

Dave said:
Yesterday I posted that my database was 4 MB out of 5 MB. Today my stats say I'm using 5 MB out of 5 MB. That seems like a big change in one day. Do SQL Server databases need to be compacted like MS Access databases do?
No, what needs to be truncated every now and then are the transaction logs, unless your database is set to auto-shrink them.
You can't change that in H-Sphere but I think the default is to auto-shrink.

You apparently have 5 MB of data in your database, but I agree 1 MB a day is a lot for most usages. You're not using 8000 length char fields for everything I take it? :)

Back