Changing domain name

Darcy

Guppy
I am managing a site that will be changing domain names soon, and before I start doing anything I would like to know if following these steps should work (this is on a shared Windows account):

1. Add new domain name under Domain Settings in H-Sphere.
2. Copy all files from old domain name folder to new domain name folder in File Manager.
3. Enter JodoHost nameserver information on new domain name at registrar.
4. Delete the old domain name folder in File manager and the old domain name in Domain Settings.

Should this work without losing any site data? Is there anything else I would need to do? Thanks very much for your help.

I don't think those steps would work, but hopefully someone from JH will respond with the definitive answer.

If it were me, I would add a domain alias (an alias for your current domain name). Then, set the nameserver info at the registrar on the new domain. And then, I'd just leave everything else as-is.

Tim

I don't think those steps would work, but hopefully someone from JH will respond with the definitive answer.

If it were me, I would add a domain alias (an alias for your current domain name). Then, set the nameserver info at the registrar on the new domain. And then, I'd just leave everything else as-is.

Tim

The domain alias is easiest and really the only way you can do without downtime.

Thanks very much for the domain alias suggestion. However,would that effectively mean I would have to keep my old domain name registered indefinitely even though I don't actually want to use it, in order for the domain alias to work here?
I anticipated the possibility of some down time, and I'm ok with that at the moment, so I am still wondering what the right process would be to make the change if I am willing to accept down time?
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks very much for the domain alias suggestion. However,would that effectively mean I would have to keep my old domain name registered indefinitely even though I don't actually want to use it, in order for the domain alias to work here?
I anticipated the possibility of some down time, and I'm ok with that at the moment, so I am still wondering what the right process would be to make the change if I am willing to accept down time?
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

ok got it, so if you are willing to have that little bit of downtime from it, your method will work fine :)

Actually I guess you could simply add the new one, copy the files, then only do the delete after the new domain is all up and running and not even technically have any downtime at all

Thanks very much for the domain alias suggestion. However,would that effectively mean I would have to keep my old domain name registered indefinitely

I can think of only one scenario in which it would matter: if another JodoHost customer tries to host the domain here. If not, DNS would never send a request for your old domain to the servers here and it would not matter if you had a domain under that name here.

Tim

Back