Changing the root directory for domains and subdomains

mdeemer

Perch
Hi all.

I have decided to move to jodo from the horrendous 1and1 but my setup is quite complex and it looks like I might not be able to do what i want on jodo.

On 1and1 I had the root of all (most) of my websites pointing to the same application root (was just "/" when i FTP'd in).
There was a "/sites/" folder i created in this root, which houses all the websites.

As they are all together within the same application I can pass info from one to another (For example, i have a banner rotaion database app in "/sites/bikechat/adsm..../" and i access it from my bikereviews site held at "/sites/br/" and all my other websites which are also in "/sites/". I also had my _private folder within the root. They also all use the same global.asa file as they share application variables. They all also access the same databases in the _private folder in the same root.

Unfortunately jodo automatically creates a "/domainname.tld/" folder and sets it as its own application root and i cannot for the life of me find anywhere in the CP to change this.

I would like for the root ("/") to be set as the application root for all my domains and subdomains. I also need the option of forwarding 123.abc.com subdomains to folders deep in the folder tree, like "/sites/bikechat/forum/uploads/members/uploads/etc/etc/etc"

I hope this makes sense, tried my hardest to word that. Please can someone help and make sure i dont have to go back to shitty 1and1 (There really would be too much work for me to change everything round).

Many thanks in advance.
Matt Deemer

aaaaaah, should i be creating the 1 site (blabla.com) and setting the rest as aliases to that one? then just leave things in the blabla.com folder and nobody would no???

Have i just been really thick with previous post?

No I understand your previous post, but it is not the way the hsphere control panel works.

You can use aliases, but aliases are realy just making for example domain.net go to domain.com

having thought about it now, isnt that what I want? If i create a aliases i should be able to have all my sites in one application root yes?

if domain.net is an alias for domain.com, what happens when say a visitor goes to domain.net/folder1/folder2/page.asp ???
Do they get redirected on to domain.com/fold.... or do they just view the files on the server that are in domain.com but still remain in the domain of domain.net???

Make sense? Its so hard posting these questions. I know wot i mean its just hard gettin them across. lol. Thanks for quick response stephen.

no it isn't a forwarder(as in it doesn't just forward .net to .com). In technical terms it is an IIS host header, so yes it will work as you like, I believe.

Sounds like you have a complex setup, in some ways.

thanks very much. I will get them created now and see how i get on.

Its nice to be with a host that gives plenty of options. Id rather have to learn a CP with loads of option than be cushioned in a baby's CP like at 1and1.

Cheers Stephen

We can also reconfigure the domain manually to a different directory if needed. Open a ticket for that

A forwarder however is your best option.

how do i delete the folders on the server for the domains ive just removed (and set up as aliases)??? Doesnt let me do it.

Also, i know you can set up a permanant redirect jobby to other folders, but how do you do it to more than 1 level down?
For example, i want "uploads.blabla.com" to go to "blabla.com/somefolder/another/uploads/"... how can i do that?

you can delete the folders by going into the ftp via the IE browser.. as i have done this before.

regards to the root folders..

yash also it may need to be noted that he doesn't what it to just redirect to that url he wants

uploads.blabla.com's root folder to be the path

blabla.com/somefolder/another/uploads/

< i have been speaking to him about this please correct me if im wroing Matt

no mate thats right. If i cud get them all to be the same application root then thats 1 hurdle - hopefully with aliases it should be ok.

Your right about the moving the application root, well not moving it (I dont want all the _private, global.asa, etc) I just was the long folder path to be the default path for uploads.blabla.com without redirects.

its looking good.... 1 more thing though. How do i add an alias of "uploads.blabla.com" to the original "mydomain.com"? "blabla.com" has already been setup as an alias - TOK.

Thanks

Sometimes learning the system and how it works is the best long term solution, seems like you found that :)

Back