Confused - Where do I put the Files?

Hi

Basic newbie question I know but unfortunately I have no idea how to deploy an Asp.Net 2 web site.

If I 'publish' the web site via VS2008 it creates a myWebsite folder holding -

index.html
myAspPage.aspx
PrecompiledApp.config
web.config

It also creates a myWebsite / bin folder holding -

App_Code.compiled
App_Code.dll
App_Web_pm5g39yz.dll
myAspPage.aspx.cdcab7d2.compiled

BUT on the JodoHost server I have a mywebsite.com folder with these sub folders -

aspnet_client
cgi-bin
cp

And the usual index.html, login.html files but there is also a dirs file.

I have never deployed asp.net before and so no idea where to actually put the files. I did do some searching here and found a suggestion to use the VS deployment option to deploy to the remote site but this warns all existing folders will be deleted - which is a little worrying.

Can someone please tell me how best to deploy and where the files created by VS2008 should be placed on the JodoHost server.

Thanks?

Kevin ?(

you can ignore the existing files and make it with the same structure on the upload.

The /bin needs to stay the same or you will see errors.

Hi Stephen

Just tried that but getting errors -

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --><configuration> <system.web> <customErrors mode="Off"/> </system.web></configuration>
Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --><configuration> <system.web> <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/> </system.web></configuration>[/FONT]

Probably something simple but I am clueless

Kevin

Back