Constant VPS reboots?

miR

Guppy
I've got a small VPS setup under my reseller account that has a nasty habit of rebooting 3-4 times a week....What's the problem, is this going to stop?

No Linux system should have this kind of instability, I don't get it.

Hi,

I've got excactly the same problem. We run a small mmrpg on our VPS and it randomly decides to restart causing our whole game to go down, people loosing their equipment etc....a nightmare.

I've opened a ticket a fair few times but always been told nothing is wrong....I'm glad you posted this, it means I'm not alone. Maybe they'll check it more thoroughly.

Also... saying that. I see that they announce on this board when they do server reebots. How do I check what physical server my vps is on?

In addition it would be very nice if you also emailed us when you are going to reboot servers. I don't check this board every day and when you reboot the server my whole game goes down causing loads of hassle. If I knew you were rebooting it, then i could take precautions.

Gekorno,
What mmorg are you using, i was just toying with the same idea of using vps for that. Not very experienced at linux yet though.

Was wanting to work with one that was called ColdC and Genesys engine.

Melee

VPS is continually intense on the disk I/O and sometimes has to be rebooted with the freevps software. This is strictly my OPINION, but freevps(the vps integrated into hsphere) is pretty beta-level stuff, yet pushed as being stable.

We run a free mmorpg called www.thule-online.co.uk. We bought the code of a company called Intent (they made www.astonia.com) and modified the code to suit our needs.

If the VPS software constantly reboots the vps, does it nor properly kill all the services that are running? If it did it would not be a problem for us to write a script to restart our gameserver upon boot. It seems like it just cuts the vps server straight off with no warning.

Also, every day at around the same time we experience about 15 minutes of horrendous lag (all players that are logged in). It is as if someone is running a very intesive script of some sort.

One of the major factor to these problems is resellers misconfiguring VPS plans. The base install alone needs ~450MB and they allocate 200 MB or even less in total, causing one of the VPS utility to run constantly collecting Disk Usage data.

This has been fixed in version 1.5 of FreeVPS that is still in Beta.

Gekornro said:
If the VPS software constantly reboots the vps, does it nor properly kill all the services that are running? If it did it would not be a problem for us to write a script to restart our gameserver upon boot. It seems like it just cuts the vps server straight off with no warning.
If the reboot it manually done, "reboot" is executed on individual VPSes one-by-one and then finally executed on the host.

Does the VPS software itself decide to reboot or is it done manually by a jodo employee?

If it is done manually then can you not write some sort of script to kill all processes on the individual vps's properly?

Gekornro said:
Does the VPS software itself decide to reboot or is it done manually by a jodo employee?
Last two reboots(except the one posted today) were crashes due to huge Disk I/O that caused server to froze. It was the disk calculation utility causing this for the reasons i already mentioned.

If it is done manually then can you not write some sort of script to kill all processes on the individual vps's properly?
"reboot" does the very same thing. It tries to shutdown all services.

And down we go again...2nd time today......1st reboot was posted, 2nd was not.

It seems to be happening quite frequent. Is there anything that can be done about these reboots? It's pointless for me to host our game on the vps with all these reboots.

Just opened a new ticket ( CPS-70105-774). But I'd like to point out that I have opened tickets (more than one) about this before but nothing was wrong apparently.

Perhaps, if Jodohost would follow through with what they say they are going to do, people wouldn't have to deal with these VPS issues. I have been waiting for Yash (Jodohost) to follow through with his claims, but I guess that "Virtuozzo" is now a DEAD issue. I would like to offer VPS, but would not even think about it, with the 'FREE' version that is currently being used.

http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=3984&highlight=Virtuozzo

P.S. Don't announce that your going to do something, then not do it.

Hello again,

I've found a few sites offering Virtuozzo as a vps. Now.... I don't really want to start moving everything (again) but we cannot keep hosting our game on an unreliable server that decides to reboot whenever it wants to.

So...I've read the plans to introduce Virtuozzo (months ago) but so far, nothing has happened. Is there a definite date on this? If not i will be forced to jump ship.

Back