do we get charged for ftp traffic?

As far as I know, for EXTRA traffic - yes. The limit depends on package you'll have. For example Pro package (which I have) has a limit of 12Gb/month, which is really huge, at least for me (I'm getting 1.2-1.5 Gb/month). You can see fares in packages descriptions.

"As far as I know"?? Can someone confirm this. I've never had a host charge for the traffic of uploading my site. This is unusual to me.

I can understand if it is a download from a site since that is part of the bandwidth as most people understand it...but should we be charged for traffic used in maintaining our site.

Well, as long as I know...I'd rather be informed then find out later.

Now after looking at HSPHERE...I found this.

To see how much traffic has been run up by FTP, FTP users, via HTTP, and incoming and outgoing mail, select the View icon next to Traffic Details.

IF this is true...I will have to rethink my plan to switch to JodoHost. I never EVER had to worry about mail or ftp traffic(uploading) from any host. However 9GB is more than most hosts give for this price of package.

Hmmm....still would like this clarified.

What constitutes database traffic?

I guess since everything else it monitored...obviously the traffic used in maintenance....

but what about the traffic behind the scenes? like when an asp page accesses a database etc?

Mail, ftp and web count against your monthly transfer. MS Access databases won't because they would be on the same server your site would be hosted on. As for MS SQL, PG SQL and MySQL, these databases are stored on their own separate database servers. I'm going to have to confirm if traffic from these servers are counted. Give me 15min

Excellent...that is what I was worried about. I realize that there is network traffic between servers so it would be important.

I most likely would be using Access for the most part but it woud be nice to know for the future.

Thanks Yash

I just confirmed. Traffic between your scripts and our MS SQL, PG SQL or MySQL servers would be counted against your monthly transfer quota.

OK thanks for confirming.

It might be nice to add the info from this thread to your FAQ. Basically, your definition of monthly transfer.

I would hate to be someone assuming all this traffic is going unmonitored like at most hosts.

Just a suggestion.

Back