domain registrar won't change dns info

mr e

Guppy
I have had a reply from my domain registrar (One and One in the UK) and they will not change my dns information.

Currently I have the domain redirected but this means the cookies and sessions variables seem to not work?

The registrar said that I can cancel the account with them and change the IPS name to another company and this will allow the dns settings to be changed by that company.

JodoHost have already replied to me and said it is unthinkable for Domain Registar not to allow DNS changes but they unfortunately do not handle .uk domains.

So now I guess I am looking into transferring my domain to a registar who could allow DNS changes.

mr e said:
I have had a reply from my domain registrar (One and One in the UK) and they will not change my dns information.
JodoHost have already replied to me and said it is unthinkable for Domain Registar not to allow DNS changes but they unfortunately do not handle .uk domains.

One of my customers faces a similar but not so radical situation in my country. However some people believe that changing DNSs in the registrar is easy for everyone

silverstone said:
Hi..

Normally registrar won't edit or change DNS for you but you must login to your account and change the DNS setting... :D

Silverstone, in some registrars there is no "control panel". You must ask for the change and it may take some time in my case or it would be impossible as in the case of mr e

Frankly my opinion is that litterally you have only purchased domain name through them, they should now not hold you by the short and curlies, if it was i i'd be warning them about now that should the DNS change not be forcoming that they would recieve a very large package (ie my Boot ) up there port! :D

Joke.

My good ness i've never heard of such bloody cheek though, seriously they need very negative feedback to ensure they dont muck other people about. People vote with there wallets and all that.

As mentioned before Mr E should not be affected as 1 & 1 has a CP and allows control over domains

I do have the domain name forwarding onto my Jodohost 'temporary' url but there are a couple of problems

First I'm not sure that Jodo appreciate domain forwarding as when I joined up it said about having access to an email component only if you transfer the domain?

The session variables seem to not work when the domain is forwarded? This is highlighted by the fact that the soop portal I am using shows the login/register security code gifs via my url http://d114259.u29.jodoshared.com/edwardesonline/ but not via http://www.edwardesonline.co.uk
so users can't register when they come via the short address!

here's hoping that I've missed an option in one and one's site.

I don't have any domains registered at 1 & 1, so I can't say if you're missing an option or not, but this all sounds very weird to me, and frankly it sounds like a big misunderstanding.

Can you log in to your 1&1 control panel for the domain name and then save the form page you get so we can take a look or something? You should edit out any private information of course ;)

Here are the option screens for One and One

You can see I've currently got the domain forwarded to Jodo and am happy for it to stay this way IF Jodo dont mind, the session variables are correct, bookmarking works ok (as one and one use masking)

all this because Brinkster have no email/upload/poor webspace so I'll be removing the account there which is only $3 less but has 7 times less space and no sql server (although I have no need now I can see it being used soon!)

What I'm considering as a workaround for the sessions variables is to have a page that immeditately transfers the page to the full url eliminating the masking (and hopefully the problem with session variables) it'll mean the full ugly url is shown but maybe one day i'll move to a better registrar (Anyone know a cheap way to transfer to one that will allow dns changes - I've seen one but it was $8)

Attachments

• domainmanage.jpg
    domainmanage.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 230
  • domainoptions.jpg
    domainoptions.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 223
That's the only thing you can edit, a target URL? Weird :(

Next time you need to renew, you might want to do it with another registrar if that's possible..

Well, it's still kind of silly, since you can't use e-mail on domain, the page loads slower because of the redirection, etc ;)

mr e said:
(Anyone know a cheap way to transfer to one that will allow dns changes - I've seen one but it was $8)

I use www.godaddy.com - domains or transfers hover around $7 - $10 depending on the ext. and this is about as cheap as you can get. Their transfer process is easy and as quick as your current registrar will OK the move. Their control panel will do just about anything you tell it.

There's no excuse for any registrar to limit services like that described in this thread. If they do, they ain't a real registrar and you should stay the 4ell clear!

I've googled and found

http:\\www.lwdinternet.co.uk

who say for uk domains the transfer is FREE.

It'll take 48 hours+ as will have to change IPS before dns info but it's FREE

that said the website isn't the best - has anyone used them before - or even heard of them?

I had a similar problem with One and one. They were my first host and I bought several domains through them. When I decided to move hosts (for better support), I had problems moving the domains. All I could do was redirect them as you are doing - I don;t know if the situation has changed now, but there was no way to alter DNS settings in their CP and they refused to do it for me. I simply moved my domains (to godaddy.com) - the best thing I ever did - so easy to manage DNS settings and the like.
Nathan

i have seen lots of users over at WWF complaining on the 1 and 1 service (btw, it's a german company)
i would recommend you to change host for your domain.

Good to see some first hand experience in this thread :)

I really hate those ploys to inseparably link domain registration and hosting. It used to be more or less the same thing with .nl domains :(
They're still a pain to register, but at least now it's doable. I'll remember to give 1&1 a wide birth 8)

DirtBag said:
i have seen lots of users over at WWF complaining on the 1 and 1 service (btw, it's a german company)
i would recommend you to change host for your domain.

Yes, 1 and 1 sucks, I registered some domains with them, the last just 2 weeks ago, and they keep charging my CC and sending me reminders "You have not paid, you account will be frozen ..."

They also do not answer emails X(

Back