E-mail virus scanning options

jimsau

Perch
My old host would allow us to scan an reject viral e-mails before they ever hit our box. Is this possible here? One of my clients is getting 75% or his mails as viral since we switched. They were all rejected before.

As soon as we get the Spam module on our new firewall running, Spam should be history with us :)

How will this work and will it have a built in virus blocker we or our customers can select?

How will this thing work?

Yash said:
As soon as we get the Spam module on our new firewall running, Spam should be history with us :)
Is this something we can turn on or off ourselves on a per account basis? I had a problem with one provider where I had a simple mail forwarding account because they were blocking the spam (what they thought was spam) and some of our mail never got through and we could not figure out why. I prefer to manually filter my own mail.

Cleaning or blocking virus mail isn't a problem. I just don't want anything trying to determine that something is spam on arrival.

I absolutely agree.

If any spam filtering were to be implemented, I would want to be able to turn it off for the entire domain, or even better on a per email account basis.

It seems as if many legite mails are not making it to their destinations anymore due to over protective spam filters. I do hope we have control. My main interest is a virus blocker however.

jimsau said:
It seems as if many legite mails are not making it to their destinations anymore due to over protective spam filters. I do hope we have control. My main interest is a virus blocker however.
I agree. A virus is distructive where spam is just annoying. I have one email account in one of my domains that is dedicated to receiving spam. I use it as a disposable address to give to people I don't trust - unimportant things I may do online like downloading a file where an email address is required. When it starts getting too much spam I delete it and make a new address.

Unforunately no, but there is discussion at PSOFT's forum regarding selective blocking.

What we will begin by is simply marking suspected emails as *SPAM*. You can filter these to your Deleted Messages folder and review them before clearing it out

Once everyone is satisfied that there are no false positives, we can configure the firewall to delete the messages instead. We will basically use a standard blacklist like SpamCOP and DNS checks.

Yash said:
Once everyone is satisfied that there are no false positives, we can configure the firewall to delete the messages instead. We will basically use a standard blacklist like SpamCOP and DNS checks.

If we can voice our opinion, I never want my host to delete any e-mails. You can flag them if you wish, but regardless of the content, I want to receive ALL e-mail message sent to me. I trust we can opt out of the deletion if it is provided by JH, right?

OK, I'll see to that

It just counts towards your email traffic so that was my only worry. But if you rather have it flagged, no problems for us.
I'm hoping an option for spam protection will be available very soon in HSphere. Hsphere already has integrated spam and antivirus support in 2.4 but it doesn't allow customers to control whether they need spam protection

Yash said:
Unforunately no, but there is discussion at PSOFT's forum regarding selective blocking.

What we will begin by is simply marking suspected emails as *SPAM*. You can filter these to your Deleted Messages folder and review them before clearing it out

This is bad news. I agree with Logan - don't block or delete any of my email messages. Yash, here are some of the problems I see with your scheme:

IMAP - I use IMAP and don't have access to a deleted directory so anything that gets put there is gone forever.

Forwarding - I have many simple mail forwarding accounts. What happens with the mail for them?

I appreciate your efforts, but I have never seen a spam filtering package that works right. You must let the user get all their mail. I am hoping you don't block email messages because that would force me to find another host.

Yash said:
OK, I'll see to that

It just counts towards your email traffic so that was my only worry...

I would rather pay for the peace of mind that I am getting all my mail, including all the crap, spam, and junk that is abundant these days. I would also look for another host if I was not able to receive *ALL* my mail.

If I am prevented from getting EVERY email I will find another host...and I am not joking. I don't want spam software blocking any email whatsoever. I don't care if it is spam or not.

I properly manage my accounts so that I do not receive spam...and never had a virus since I got my first computer 6 years ago or more.

I have had bad experiences with this type of software in the past and found many times where my email was blocked incorrectly. I won't put up with that again.

It's bad enough I have to deal with that Freaking spamcop crap already.

yorri said:
It's bad enough I have to deal with that Freaking spamcop crap already.

I would also prefer not to have any spam filtering software. I agree that 'Freaking spamcop' causes more trouble than it deals with. It sometimes seems that the only people that suffer when an IP gets blacklisted is those people like us using legitimate webhosts. The spammers just move on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but seems spamcop make absolutely no attempt to investigate complaints before they blacklist an IP. If they had, then we wouldn't have had todays problem? I guess innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply to spamcop. I'd like to see a 'nuisancecop' police spamcop to see how much of a nuisance they cause by blacklisting innocent service providers.

Maybe I'm just misinformed.

Whilst I'm on this subject, I'm using a great piece of software that I've found very useful and it's FREE! http://www.mailwasher.net/download.php

This is a program that allows you to preview messages before you download them. You can also bounce emails and blacklist them for easier future ID - though it doesn't report to spamcop like other programs do. Good - I believe I already said that I don't believe in spamcop. :D

I had a time finding my thread. :))

So there is no viral protection for now? How soon until we see 2.4?

Yash said:
We'll be flagging all suspected emails as Spam instead of deleting them

I have no problem with flagging, then I can manage my own email which is what I am paying for.

Thanks Yash.

Yash, I feel avoided here. Is there any virus protection now? I gather there is not. Will there be in 2.4 for sure? When will 2.4 be installed?

Thanks.

I would have to agree with the rest of these people on the spam thing. I hate it with a passion and think spammers should be shot in the head. :evil: But this software is flawed at best. People are not getting emails from many ISP's anymore because some ISP's are blocking them erroneously.

I am all for having the option to nuke a viral e-mail before I ever waste the bandwidth downloading it though.

jimsau said:
Yash, I feel avoided here. Is there any virus protection now? I gather there is not. Will there be in 2.4 for sure? When will 2.4 be installed?

There is no virus protection built into hsphere no. I don't know if there will be in 2.4 (mainly because I just don't care to check)

Check out Psoft's website to read about the latest releases of Hsphere and what has been added to 2.4.

While you are there you will see there that 2.4 is still just in beta release so Jodohost cannot install this yet nor do they know when 2.4 will be released officially. Jodohost will install it when there is a stable release (which means that Jodohost cannot give a date for installation because they don't know when it will be released.)

Hsphere 2.4 has inbuilt virus scanning
I can't say when it would be available

BUT
I'll have our unix administrator try configuring ClamAV. We got it installed but it refuses to scan emails..

Back