email addresses for announcements, problems or other things

yorri

Perch
Would it be possible to set up email addresses or a mailing list that is on a separate mail server than the customers mail server for announcements sent by Jodohost?

The reason I am requesting this is that I have set up my hotmail account as my contact email address in case there is a problem with my domains email server, this would allow me to continue to have communication if the forum and/or my own domains mail server is down.

The problem is that I don't check my hotmail account all that much.

My previous hosts had it set up so that all emails (like tickets or otherwise) go to 2 addresses, one for my domain and one that they suggest does not reside on my domain in case of problems. I don't think Hspere supports this.

It may be too difficult to do this and I don't know if jodohost has more than one mail server...but if it is possible I think it would be a great idea.

The problem I find with announcments being made in the forum is that I don't visit all the time. What about maybe making a mailing list for this...of course this wouldn't support ticket emails but it would at least support one of the two issues I mentioned above.

I find most web hosts provide a personal email address @webhost.com. If we had this, we could use this email for the ticketing system and then subscribe to a mailing list for general announcements to keep up to date.

Please forgive me if this doesn't make 100% sense. I need to go to bed as I am a little tired but I at least wanted to get my thought out.

We could even use a Yahoo group for the mailing list. That way you wouldn't have to use any of your bandwidth and it would be on a separate server from Jodohost.

I'd love to hear your suggestions for this.

hmm. You mean you basically want to be able to receive announcements on an alternate email address?

Sure, that can be done. We could setup a mailing list. Why have it on a separate mail server though?

Yash said:
hmm. You mean you basically want to be able to receive announcements on an alternate email address?

Sure, that can be done. We could setup a mailing list. Why have it on a separate mail server though?

Tacticalsystems.com automatically sends information to a backup address one was asked to provide when registering. This proved to be very useful and I guess that it indeed wouldn enhance crucial information to reach the necessary people in time. I also see no need for a seperate mail server for this.

eko said:
Tacticalsystems.com automatically sends information to a backup address one was asked to provide when registering. This proved to be very useful and I guess that it indeed wouldn enhance crucial information to reach the necessary people in time. I also see no need for a seperate mail server for this.

eko...Hsphere doesn't support a backup email when my domain's email goes down...unless I am unaware of this feature! If it did, then I agree..there would be no need for a separate mail system. I don't trust mail servers (especially since Jodohost doesn't require us to login to them which is just asking for a hacker to hijack the smtp servers and could bring the system down at any time....not too confident about the reliability there!)

The reason on a separate mail server is for the same reason I don't use my domain email for communication with you. If our domains mail server goes down, how does Jodohost keep in touch with me? I wasn't able to communicate with you in the summer during the datacenter shift. I realize that is a rare situation and maybe my experience at other web hosts has tainted my thoughts.

Actually the last host I was with allowed us to setup a backup email address in case our domain's email went down (just as eko suggested that tacktical systems does) but I never did like that solution because it required me to get 2 copies of everything because they couldn't manage to just send it to one of the email addresses, of course if Hsphere was able to do something like that it would be ok....a backup email that is. but then I would need another pop email address that I check...I hate using hotmail.

Anyway...anything will be better than the current system. The forum requires me to manually visit and using my domains' email address requires it to be always working (which it has been for months but that is not the point).

As I was saying...anything would be good.

eko said:

To be redundant, the new mail server would need to be not only on a different box but a different gateway to the internet and potentially at a different site. I think having a customer provide an outside email address (even if it is a hotmail or yahoo address) is common practice and not asking too much of the customer. Creating and maintaining a separate email server for such use will increase JodoHost's costs and I believe it is not necessary.

PS - eko, did you know I am not able to send you a PM here on the forum? It says you can't accept them.

brawney said:
To be redundant, the new mail server would need to be not only on a different box but a different gateway to the internet and potentially at a different site. I think having a customer provide an outside email address (even if it is a hotmail or yahoo address) is common practice and not asking too much of the customer. Creating and maintaining a separate email server for such use will increase JodoHost's costs and I believe it is not necessary.
QUOTE]

Well I would be just happy with a [email protected] email address that isn't on the same mail server as the customers..It might not be the ideal redundancy but it is one step better than what we have right now. Currently we have nothing.

Back