Email Issues

deepscan

Perch
I’ve posted this via helpdesk as well but it’s getting nowhere. Hoping other resellers who might have had the same situation can help me.

We have a client who sends newsletters via their content management system around 300-500 at a time. Sometimes CMS fails during the process, but mail server somehow sends them anyway. This part I have no problem with. Presuming that the communication between CMS and the server gets lost somewhere but the emails are delivered which should be a good thing however, it’s not. Every time this happens mail server sends those emails over and over again, up to about 10 times. You can image their angry clients calling them with spamming accusations and off course we get a call from our client with all sorts of threats!

Here is the technical info;

CMS can send emails via PHP Mail, Send Mail or SMTP. All but Send Mail is working! We’ve tried PHP Mail, never worked. Tried SMTP with an existing account on the same domain with its password while having authentication turned on, still no luck. Tried different batch amounts e.g. 200-300. Doesn’t make any difference. Sometimes it works and CMS returns with all ok message, other times an error with lots of emails delivered!

Any help is appreciated.

What CMS? It sounds like it is the problem, like perhaps it's not keeping a record of which mails were sent so that when you restart, the same batch is being resent.

I don't believe php's mail() function has the smarts to handle error messages in the way SMTP mail deliver does. Given the choice, I'd go with the SMTP method.

I've had good luck with phpList, which is a dedicated newsletter mailer script.

Tim

Back