Email Migrations - SmarterMail 2.x

Penhall

Perch
I have been generally happy with my last few months at JodoHost as a reseller and was thinking of stepping up a reseller plan here and migrating a couple domains over. My one concern is with email - is it possible to migrate email accounts,mail,setting etc over to JodoHost from another server. Just to add more muck to the confusion, is there a way to do it from SmarterMail over to HSphere? Would like to move these domains over but am hesitant to have clients have to go in and change passwords etc.

Just thinking out loud but any suggestions would be appreciated.

SmarterMail and qmail don't run on the same platforms, or pretty much have anything in common, so I am sorry to say, migration in any automated way can't happen.

Stephen said:
SmarterMail and qmail don't run on the same platforms, or pretty much have anything in common, so I am sorry to say, migration in any automated way can't happen.

I know that for instance Exchange Server (running on Win2003 SBS) has a pop3 downloader which collects mail from a pop3 server (such as the old host). Does anyone know of a e-mail server independant tool which would download e-mails from old servers and store the e-mail on the new server which DNS propagation is taking place?

Jon

Stephen said:
No problems - you've pretty much confirmed what I expected to hear. SmarterMail is not bad but I've had some issues lately with mail delivery etc. and was thinking that moving to a more "standard" service would be nice. One account is that I was thinking of bringing over has about 15 email accounts and the other only about 4 or 5 so I guess in theory it wouldn't be that big of a deal but I have to wait until the end of the month anyway before making a final decision.

Have a good one.

JMKotman said:
I know that for instance Exchange Server (running on Win2003 SBS) has a pop3 downloader which collects mail from a pop3 server (such as the old host). Does anyone know of a e-mail server independant tool which would download e-mails from old servers and store the e-mail on the new server which DNS propagation is taking place?

Jon

I would think that changing the MX records on the old host would minimize propogation problems - again just thinking outloud.

Penhall said:
I would think that changing the MX records on the old host would minimize propogation problems - again just thinking outloud.

That is true, however you would still have the problem of getting the mail which has not been downloaded to the clients computer from the old server to the new server.

JMKotman said:
That is true, however you would still have the problem of getting the mail which has not been downloaded to the clients computer from the old server to the new server.

Yup, you are correct - nothing is simple as it seems. Oh well, c'est la vie!

Penhall said:
Yup, you are correct - nothing is simple as it seems. Oh well, c'est la vie!

I have found a product which would be very helpful in migrating e-mail from an old host. This link is http://www.mailgate.com/products/wfeatures.asp. It runs on your computer and will pull all of the old mail from the old host and put it on JodoHost which will allow a seamless transition. I have not tried the product personally but it looks like it would work good. If anyone has used the product please let me know.
Thanks
Jon

Back